Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Ability to automatically sort linked records

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

We really would love the ability to AUTOMATICALLY sort the related list of linked records.

We know that we can MANUALLY sort the related list of linked records, but we would love the ability to AUTOMATICALLY sort.

Oh, and equally important, weโ€™re not just looking for the ability to automatically sort linked records alphabetically. Weโ€™re looking for the ability to automatically sort linked records by ANY value in their respective table.

So, for example:

I am creating a large travel itinerary for a tour company where my main table is โ€œCountriesโ€ and my secondary table is โ€œCitiesโ€.

I have linked each โ€œcountryโ€ record in the โ€œCountryโ€ table to multiple different โ€œcitiesโ€ in the โ€œCitiesโ€ table.

But each โ€œcityโ€ record has a start date & an end date, so there is a natural ordering to the cities. The cities can be ordered chronologically by date. In fact, that is the VERY BEST way for cities to be ordered: chronologically by date.

Back in the โ€œCountryโ€ table, each โ€œcountryโ€ record is linked to multiple โ€œcitiesโ€ from the โ€œCitiesโ€ table.

However, on each โ€œCountryโ€ record, Airtable has listed all the โ€œlinked citiesโ€ in some random order. It seems like Airtable has placed them into a โ€œreverse sort orderโ€ of when users added each city to its respective country. But this is of no value to us.

We would like the โ€œlinked citiesโ€ to be listed chronologically by date for each โ€œcountryโ€.

Other database languages, such as FileMaker Pro, have this ability (to automatically sort linked records) natively baked into the program. It would be amazing if Airtable had this same feature! ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

15 Comments
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Please be sure to email support@airtable.com with this important feature request! They donโ€™t typically see what we write here, so itโ€™s important to email them. :slightly_smiling_face:

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

My app for sorting linked records by any field in the linked table is currently in review with Airtable. I also have an automation script for keeping linked records sorted.

D_W
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I am looking for this solution too.

Hannah_Martin

+1. This would be really great. Iโ€™d also love to pick which field to sort by, since the Batch Update extension doesnโ€™t have that feature.

Nils_Cambreleng
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Highly looking for this feature too :confused: