Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Ability to automatically sort linked records

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

We really would love the ability to AUTOMATICALLY sort the related list of linked records.

We know that we can MANUALLY sort the related list of linked records, but we would love the ability to AUTOMATICALLY sort.

Oh, and equally important, weโ€™re not just looking for the ability to automatically sort linked records alphabetically. Weโ€™re looking for the ability to automatically sort linked records by ANY value in their respective table.

So, for example:

I am creating a large travel itinerary for a tour company where my main table is โ€œCountriesโ€ and my secondary table is โ€œCitiesโ€.

I have linked each โ€œcountryโ€ record in the โ€œCountryโ€ table to multiple different โ€œcitiesโ€ in the โ€œCitiesโ€ table.

But each โ€œcityโ€ record has a start date & an end date, so there is a natural ordering to the cities. The cities can be ordered chronologically by date. In fact, that is the VERY BEST way for cities to be ordered: chronologically by date.

Back in the โ€œCountryโ€ table, each โ€œcountryโ€ record is linked to multiple โ€œcitiesโ€ from the โ€œCitiesโ€ table.

However, on each โ€œCountryโ€ record, Airtable has listed all the โ€œlinked citiesโ€ in some random order. It seems like Airtable has placed them into a โ€œreverse sort orderโ€ of when users added each city to its respective country. But this is of no value to us.

We would like the โ€œlinked citiesโ€ to be listed chronologically by date for each โ€œcountryโ€.

Other database languages, such as FileMaker Pro, have this ability (to automatically sort linked records) natively baked into the program. It would be amazing if Airtable had this same feature! ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

15 Comments
Kamille_Parks
16 - Uranus
16 - Uranus

Agreed, this would be very useful. It would also be nice to sort Lookups as well.

Sample Use Case:
I have a base to help plan my future vacations. I have a [Trips] table with all the trips I want to go on, and a [Itinerary] table with the events (flight, hotel check-in/out, concerts, etc) associated with each trip.

Iโ€™d like the linked records from [Itinerary] to automatically sort by their date/time when displayed in the [Trips] base.
Capture.JPG

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yep, this is the exact same dilemma that Iโ€™m in! :slightly_smiling_face:

Kiera_Landess
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 vote for this feature. Using airtable pro for project management myself, and this is the one thing that everyone still grumbles about and makes this a less efficient tool. Bothersome enough that weโ€™re considering switching products. Please let us know if this is on the roadmap! Thank you!

Isaac_Googgle
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

also need this for mutli select field as well!!!

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

also need this for mutli select field

This would be nice, too. Multi-select fields can be manually alphabetized by clicking on the โ€œalphabetizeโ€ button, but it doesnโ€™t happen automatically.

Laura_McDonald
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I want this so much. I just spent an hour manually sorting linked recordsโ€”and those are just the ones I had to do, not the ones Iโ€™d really like to do but would take way too long.

Peter_Berg
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This would be an incredibly useful feature.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

My guess is that the sorting of linked records can be automated with either a JavaScript script or by using Integromatโ€™s Array Sort functionality, although I havenโ€™t tested either of these myself yet. (Integromat is a no-code automation platform that has full Airtable support.)

But yeah, this would be great to have it built into Airtable natively.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

You can MANUALLY sort linked records with the Batch Update App, but it has to be triggered manually every time you want to sort.

Paul_Leavitt
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This would be fantastic for me as well. I would like to use Airtable to auto-generate invoices, but the invoice tables is pulling in line items from the hour tracking table in what seems to be a completely random order. I know I could use the batch-reorder app, but thatโ€™s a messy solution. I second (fifth?) @ScottWorldโ€™s take on this, and the ability to select what column linked records sort by.