Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Ability to create calculated metrics in Interfaces

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Joel_Lee
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

First, let me start off by saying how incredibly important this feature is. The data so many organizations could have by being able to create custom calculated metrics in Interfaces is untellable.

When creating big numbers (like the Numbers widget in an Interface), you are tired to a specific field, then you must select an operator. For example, you tie that Number widget to a field in one of your tables, for example, โ€œRevenue,โ€ then select โ€œSumโ€ and it gives you the total. Letโ€™s say you did that same thing for โ€œProfit.โ€

Then, with those two metrics, there is no way to create a third one based off those that calculates, for example, something like: Profit / Revenue (displayed as a percentage (Margin)).

The problem is that the only workaround to achieve the above (something that is a basic feature in, for example, Google Data Studio), is to build in the Profit, Revenue, and Margin fields at the table level which can fail to work if you are dealing with a metric for which there is no workable operator. For example, you cannot use โ€œSumโ€ in the settings of a Number widget in an Interface in order to sum up all the โ€œMarginโ€ values in your table. That doesnโ€™t make sense.

Long story short, I would love if, in Interfaces, you could calculate your own metrics. The flexibility this would provide would help people who are using Interfaces for basic financial or other number-based widgets, and could give them the insights they need (like the organization I work for!).

48 Comments
ChooseReach
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1

Artwords
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 Absolutely essential feature for us

Tristan-ARG
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

+1 for this. 

I am also needing it

itatvue
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I agree!  That would make Airtable much more valuable to our organization.

Helpdesk_softwa

+1 from me too. 

Darj
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yep +1 for me, biggest issue right now I am having with interfaces!

sajakfarki
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 This is a massive missing feature. Interfaces can only get you so far without being able to use formulas or add live numbers outside of a calculated field in a table. 

Also, the ability to have an interface element connected to another element as the data source would be beneficial.

IE: Budget Report

Element A: Static Number - Total hours allotted
Element B: Calculated Number - Total accrued hours from table data source
Element C: Calculated Number - Element A minus Element B

ktubc
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Just wondering if the Airtable crew are viewing this thread. I was looking for an answer to this and it seems it's still not available. Definitely a +1!!!

lwilson
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1

Darcie_Tanner1

Definitely a +1. Also running into the 'going back to google sheets' route ๐Ÿ˜•