Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Active e-mail, url, & phone numbers in lookup field

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
typo
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

When I use a lookup table to reference an e-mail address, url, or phone number in another table, I would like those fields to act as active e-mail addresses, urls & phone numbers when they are displayed in the lookup table. Currently the lookup table formats them as text, so if I want to e-mail a group of people from a particular set of lookup fields, I have to hand copy all of the e-mail addresses. Or, if I want to text someone from a particular lookup field, I have to hand copy the phone number.

5 Comments
Alex_Wolfe
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

What happens if you create a new formula field which just displays the desired lookup field text? This may offer some formatting options or might recognize the specific format.

Kamille_Parks
16 - Uranus
16 - Uranus

Formulas won’t recognize emails as emails (clickable action items). Also, Its really inconvenient for users to have to use a separate formula field for what could be many lookup fields.

Ideally, Lookups should either recognize formatting of displayed values, inherit the formatting of the original field from the linked table, or have their own formatting options to let users specify whether displayed values should be clickable emails, phone numbers, urls, etc.

typo
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

YES. EXACTLY. PLEASE. I’m stumbling across this issue yet again and it’s making me nuts. I use AirTable to manage contacts across multiple projects. So I have a master table of names/phone numbers and then link those names to various project tables. So if I’m on my phone and I’m trying to call or e-mail someone working on a project, there’s no active link to call them from the project table. I have to either navigate back to the contact table or copy and paste their phone/e-mail address. Also: the various blocks which interact with e-mail addresses, urls, etc DO NOT WORK on the lookup fields. So if I need to e-mail or SMS everyone on my project team, I can’t use the pro-feature block (which AirTable is charging me for) to do it.

Mark_T
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Any news on this one? Would be interested in s solution too…

Keith_Vartanian
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I would love some more info here. This seems like a really simple fix, but it’s just caught my attention and it is bugging the crap out of me.