Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Add descriptions for tables, views, and columns

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hailey_Pate
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I’m the primary builder of our team’s base, and I want my team members to feel more comfortable contributing records.

In a single base, it would be tremendously helpful to have space in the GUI for adding documentation about specific base elements such as…

individual tables - i would use this to explain the purpose of a table, identify the content steward, and highlight important linkages

individual views - i would use this to explain to my team members why this view exists, list the URLs of where it’s embedded offsite, and things to consider before making changes

columns - lower priority for me, but i could see this being useful metadata for users who consume data via API

In the meantime, I’m adding an extra table for my base called “About this base” so that I can explain to my team what’s up with the various references and views

AirTable keeps getting better and better. Huge fan here. You guys rock!

7 Comments
Mark_Morgan
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello @Hailey_Pate, as to the 3rd items for columns, this is currently a supported feature. Just click on the drop-down arrow on the column and choose “Edit Description”. Add your content there and it will appear as a tool tip when users hover over the title of the column.

I’m not aware of similar features for the tables and views, although of course you can add description information for the whole base by similarly clicking on the down arrow next to the title and adding a description.

In the interim, in your “About this base” table, consider developing a Word/pdf document that you can just add to an attachment formatted field. And, you could even create multiple documents for each topic to make it even easier for the user to find what they want. That way you can add/delete/modify the document as needed offline and simply attach when needed. Maybe the “records” in this table could be the various topics and then the attachment field would be the appropriate document, or something like that.

Hope this gets you started.

Also, see this topic/post for additional conversations about this subject.

Anneka_K

It looks like both columns and table descriptions are now fully in effect, which is great.

I’m wondering if a View description might be upcoming. I feel this would be very useful. As soon as more team members begin using the base, it will be easy for people to modify views with their own grouping and filterings, so it would be great to have some contextual documentation of the intended settings for key views. We’ll hopefully train people to duplicate views before modifying, but in the meantime, it’s too darn easy to jump in and start tinkering.

And/or …
maybe something like a Reset View option?

Kat_Slonaker1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I am doing all the ‘construction’ of our Bases. I have happily made use of the Base and Field Descriptions, but there does not seem to be any way to described a View beyond its short name. The View Name can hint at purpose, but often not enough to make certain that team members (who may or may not see the filters and field omissions) understand what the specific View is for.
Please consider adding a ‘Description’ like the others! Thank you!

Mitchell_Eastau
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I agree – the ability to have a “view” description would be fantastic! Is there any plan for this?

Rodolphe_Cantil

+1 a view description would be very usefull if we have many

Charlie_Buckle
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for a view description - seems crazy that bases, tables and columns all get descriptions, but views don’t!

Mo-Ali-tpx
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

been a while but i would really love to see a view description