Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Advanced User Permissions

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Jonathan_Fuller
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Again running into issues with not having more granular control of User Permissions. Wondering if this is on the Roadmap and if so (Though I know you canโ€™t say when) is it one of the higher priority items?

You all are awesome. Thanks!

261 Comments
Peter_Chang
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Oh yeah, deletion.
Just keep a accessible log of deleted records. You do already have that right? Let us see who done it and recover.

Chris_Newman
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thanks Peter. Reading through the whole thread above the focus has been mainly on accidental deletion or seeing figures and general info that isnโ€™t relevant. We would have significant personal and in the UK specifically GDPR issues (affects personal data) without the ability to lock down views. I suspect many potential UK users will not be able to proceed without more granular permissions. Your solutions would appear to solve these for us.

Ian_Hogg
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

All we really need is another switch on the Duplicate Base options to set a โ€˜Do not allow Editors to duplicate this baseโ€™ - keeping this permission at a Creator / Owner level.

• What industry do you work in? What role do you have? How are you using Airtable?

We are a business which has developed a business change and planning methodology. Iโ€™m the COO, and have translated our methodology from a spreadsheet based approach to use Airtable.

For data privacy and segregation, we set-up a new base for each project/client and provide the Practitioner / PM editor access to this base. They use this to manage their project, and may give clients viewer or editor access to the base.

• Are you most concerned with view access, write access, share access, or another form of information access?

Our #1 concern is being able to stop the duplication of a base. This is for 2 reasons:

a) The base is the codification of our IP - we want to control how this is spread and stop it being copied without permission.
b) We want to give our practitioners control over how clients access the project data.

We are essentially using Airtable as the MVP of our toolset before developing a stand-alone app.

• Who are you using Airtable with? With other Airtable collaborators? If so, are these other collaborators base or workspace collaborators? Or, are you using Airtable with non-Airtable users? If so, are they using forms? How are they using these forms?

All collaborators are Base collaborators.
Practitioners are typically Editors
Clients typically engage via forms and read only Table View links
One client role may be given editor access to the base - this is case-by case.

• What is the nature of the information that youโ€™re concerned about? Where does it live? In specific cells? In records? In fields? In field configurations? Just in specific views? In entire tables? In the names of records, fields, or tables? In share links?

We are concerned primarily about the protection of the base as a whole rather than individual data elements.
While some degree of role-based permission / data segregation would be useful, this is not critical for us at this stage of development.

• Do you use linked records at all? If so, how would you expect that linked records would interact with more granular permissions?

Yes, but as we are not concerned with role based data access, this is not a concern for us.

George_Copelan1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Can we PLEASE have it so we can turn off base cloning ability?!

Protecting sensitive client information / formulas is a big deal for us. All it would take is hiding a single button for anyone that is not an admin :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for all that you do! Love Airtable.

Moe
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

If you want to allow someone to edit only certain fields, weโ€™ve created a tool that allows you to do that. It generates a basic editor thatโ€™s ideal for giving access to users who just need to do light work.

Basic Editor with Advanced Permissions for Airtable - miniExtensions

Share a basic editor for Airtable View with a password-protected URL

Martin_Menez
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi there!
We, at Bevouac, are huge fans of Airtable. It (almost) suits our needs perfectly!

The one feature that would make us use only Airtable and not โ€œhome-made codeโ€ or other tools would be the possibility to share only a portion of the base (one table and selected views i.e.) to an external user and give that person the ability to edit or add records.

When will you take on developing such a feature?

Thanks for your answer.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Is this what youโ€™re looking for?

Martin_Menez

Thanks Bill! It partially does indeed!
I recently asked to be able to test out this beta feature (still havenโ€™t had the chance).

Yet, this doesnโ€™t seem to handle the issue : โ€œHow can I adjust who can see information in my base?โ€

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

I agree, and I believe this needs to be addressed by someone intimate with the security architecture. And I suspect - with these soon to be available features - there may be clever ways to address this requirement.

But, based on this beta, it seems the team is on the right compass heading.

Chris_Pearson

We have been using the beta and it is terrific - solves a lot of problems re: user permissions. However, I donโ€™t believe it addresses the ability to only allow users to see selected information. Hopefully that is the next step for Airtableโ€™s development team as it would be very valuable.