Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Allow a Default for Long Text

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brian_Hendel
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I’d love to be able to define a default for LONG TEXT type fields so that I can spell out a template for my sales team to fill out prep sheets. Just a bunch of headings with colons. I am sure that I could automate this with a RECORD CREATED automation and populate the field if empty, but seems like there should be a defaults option for that field type.

7 Comments
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yes, I agree with you that there should be a default option for long text fields.

However, the default field option is extremely limited and should never be depended on, as explained in the thread below.

Hands-down, your #1 best bet for this is to use automations for all your default field values. It’s the only way to ensure that you’ll get default values for all new records.

Brian_Hendel

Yeah, bummer! But thank you for the info!

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

You’re welcome! Glad I could help! :slightly_smiling_face:

Sara_Moe
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I would also like to see a default text option for long text fields, especially with rich text formatting!

Joseph_Leveque

+1, so we can add a standard checklist to each record

ZYGOTE_DEVELOPM

Definitely +1 for this as well – with all the automation potential available in Airtable right now this feels like a very basic element which isn’t keeping up with the times

You could even do this completely through the automation panel: ie If new record created –> Update cell with pre-formatted text. I imagine you could even have a little Mock long-text field in the automation panel so you can pre-format yourself exactly as though you were formatting it in the long text field itself (With Rich text on or off)

Limi
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

This is from 2 years ago- is there a fix for this or a workaround? I want a default template of text that i want staff to see rather than having this template somewhere else- what's the best way to do this?