Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Automatic bidirectional linked records in same table

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Cat_Holland
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Is there a way when linking Record A to Record B that Record B can automatically be linked back to Record A?

84 Comments
Mark_Barnes

Just adding a +1 from me, too. As plenty of others have mentioned, this is especially useful in tracking blocking issues.

David_Krizan
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hereโ€™s a specific use case, as I use one base to track various software in my company and the integrations they provide via a same-table Linked Record field. So, if say I add an Integration between Airtable and Zapier, I ALWAYS want this to be a bi-directional linkage, so that Airtable also gets added to the Integrations field in the Zapier record.

Basically, I want a simple switch here akin to โ€œMake Link Bidirectionalโ€ when Iโ€™m adding a Linked Record field within the same table.

Michael_Crinni1

I also need this. Iโ€™m trying to make an easy way to match students with their friends within groups. If I say Student 1 is friends with Student 2, I donโ€™t want to have to say it again in the Student 2 record,.

BrynRay
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 would love to see this. Weโ€™re structuring web applications and want to have โ€œthis section includesโ€ then list the sub-sections. We then want each of the subsections to have โ€œincluded inโ€ automatically. There isnโ€™t any inherent hierarchy, and we have modular inclusion, so there is no logical way to have some in one table and others in another.

Sally_Waters
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Would also really like this!

Nicolas_Bauwens
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

We have the same case with my team, thatโ€™s why we also need the feature. To get around this, I have created a block which lists โ€œchild task/bug/issueโ€ of a story, but I donโ€™t think it might be sufficient.
Weโ€™re thinking about creating a linked โ€œTasksโ€ table, where issues/bugs would be created AND one task per story. We would keep the functional details of the story in the โ€œStoriesโ€ table and estimates etc in the โ€œTasksโ€ table :woozy_face:

Jim_May
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I also need this ASAP. I have vendors, customers and jobs. When I create a job, I link the job to the Vendor and Customer. I need to have an automatically generated link from the customer and vendor back to the job. Currently I have to add all of the the back links manually.

Avana_Vana
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I canโ€™t believe reciprocal links on the same table isnโ€™t core functionality, at least the ability to turn it on and off. It is there by default when linking to another table (ie, creates a reciprocal link on the other table).

What needs to happen is it needs to be a toggle option for both cases, same table, and different table. Many times I have needed this feature and have had to use a different tool, for same table reciprocal links. And many times I have not needed reciprocal links in the different linked table, and so I have many hidden fields hiding this information, and itโ€™s even more annoying because each time you add a linked field for a new column, for example because you need a different condition, it adds the linked field an additional time for each additional column, instead of using the same one. So I might have the same column on a different table duplicating a reciprocal link multiple times, and then I have to hide all of those (Linked Table, Copy of Linked Table, Copy of Copy of Linked Table, etc). Terrible.

Please add this. It is basic functionality for this feature. People cannot make issue trackers with dependencies, for example, unless they add a separate โ€˜dependenciesโ€™ table, but many times you donโ€™t want to expose these kind of simple relational โ€˜utilityโ€™ tables to the rest of your team, because it makes it harder to understand, complicates, and pollutes the workspace with too many non-interactive โ€˜utilityโ€™ tables that decrease usability and manageability. This solution is a hack. Yes, itโ€™s what databases do on the back end, but if I wanted to work with a simple relational database, Iโ€™d do that and continue pretending to live in the 90s. This is Airtable, which should be a much more sophisticated front for a database, and that kind of stuff should be done in the background.

:white_check_mark: This is my vote to please make reciprocal-linking available as an option in the same table, and also make it optional across different tables.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yes, totally agree with you. It is absolutely confounding how this is not a part of the product, especially considering that bidirectional links ALREADY EXIST in the rest of the product (when linking across multiple tables). This is core, basic functionality that all database systems haveโ€ฆ except for Airtable.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

@Jim_May: This already exists in Airtable, assuming that your vendors, customers, and jobs are each in separate tables. If youโ€™re not seeing the backlink fields, then itโ€™s hidden under โ€œhide fieldsโ€.