Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Automatic linking of tables based on any field

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Two of the major limitations of Airtable when creating a link from one table (“Table A”) to another table (“Table B”) is that:

1. We can ONLY link to the primary field in the other table (“Table B”). To truly unleash massive amounts of power & flexibility & customizability in any database system, we need the ability to MANUALLY CHOOSE which field in “Table A” should be linked to which field in “Table B”.

2. Linking is always done MANUALLY instead of AUTOMATICALLY. Unlike other database systems, Airtable doesn’t automatically scan for matching values in linked fields — a human must manually intervene by manually linking records.

Obviously, these changes would graduate Airtable from the realm of “beginner-level database program” into a more “advanced-level database program”, but it would enable us to create all sorts of advanced database solutions that we can’t create now. It would also remove lots of migration headaches when importing/migrating data into Airtable from other advanced database apps.

29 Comments
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

@Erik_Anderson Thank you for your thoughts! Very elegantly articulated! I totally agree!

Alexander_Stump
5 - Automation Enthusiast

absolutely agree. It´s a must have and very painful that we are forced to setup integromat or other external tools to do something as basic as linking information between tables in an efficient manner

Benjamin_Lindle
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 This feature is the reason I looked into Airtable over other low code platforms like Coda. My use case is that I want to automate a pick list choice based on values inputted by a lead. The pick list is pulling from an evolving set of products, so each new request (record) needs to calculate using the pick list before choosing the optimum product. Very surprised it isn’t supported.

Marco_Racanelli
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for this feature! This would be very much powerful

Marien_Giraud
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for this feature, It would be super useful, Thanks!

mliu
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Totally agree the recommendations. I just started to use AirTable and found that the linked table has to be manually selected, this brings me a shock. Microsoft’s Excel and Power BI already provided the relationship link 10 years ago via Power Pivot automatically.
If users have 1000 rows to link in AirTable, this will force users to change back to Excel.

Michael_Walker1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 - it’s really important to be able to automatically match 2 linked databases based on a specific field.

Rebecca_Mqamelo
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 Is anyone from Airtable monitoring this? Seems like a critically missing feature.

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Welcome to the community, @Rebecca_Mqamelo! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: Airtable monitors everything. They seldom reply to these threads, though, so don’t mistake their silence as a lack of interest/support.

Michael_Parker

+1 Looking forward for this feature, thanks.