Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Be able to create new records in another table via form

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
jiin_cruz
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I was recently creating a form for colleagues to use to log outreach with students. Forms are really essential as many of my colleagues are not great with platforms like this, but need to be able to quickly and easily enter info into our base, without having to interact with the larger context and get lost.

In the form, I wanted them to be able to log details about the calls in the Outreach table the form was created on, and also to note if the conversation required any follow-up, and if so, create a linked record in a table called Follow-up.

I figured this would be able to work because when youโ€™re putting an entry into a linked field while in grid view, you have the option not to only select from the records that already exist in the table thatโ€™s linked, but also to click the plus sign and directly enter a record right there. Unfortunately, that is not an option through a form like it is in grid view. In my case, it would be extremely helpful!

4 Comments
Aron
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Indeed you canโ€™t create new records from a form in another table from the one that a form submits to. You can use Zapier to automatically create a record in another table when a record is created in a table (or a view) and link it.

jiin_cruz

Thx Aron. I understand the limitation exists, and through Zapier (another paid subscription) some necessary workaround could be programmed. Iโ€™m just plugging a request for a function that wouldnโ€™t require a workaround.

Kate_Horowitz2
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I pay for the pro version of Airtable and Iโ€™m still not able to figure out how to do this. We need to be able to create records that link to the correct customer record; if that customer does not exist, we have to create it then or itโ€™s likely data will be lost. How can I โ€œvoteโ€ on or otherwise let Airtable know how important this feature is?

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Depending on the setup of your base, you might be able to accomplish this with Airtableโ€™s Automations without any coding at all.

For any sort of extra conditional logic, you would either need to write a custom JavaScript or turn to a no-code/low-code automation platform like Integromat.

p.s. If anyone needs help setting this up and you have a budget for your project, I am an expert Airtable consultant and an Integromat Partner. You can always feel free to reach out to me at my website scottworld.com.