Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Cell Descriptions

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Arthur_Godiva
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

The little i information button is very useful for describing the title of the column header. However I would like to add the same option but for any cell in the base. When viewing the record in vertical view, the option to click the i button should be there as well for someone to explain why the result is that result or what it means.

2 Comments
Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Iโ€™m not sure this would be possible, considering that Airtable doesnโ€™t technically have cells the way that spreadsheets do. While the default grid view looks almost identical to a spreadsheet, the individual spaces for data entry arenโ€™t nearly as independent as in a spreadsheet. The โ€œcolumn headerโ€ as you describe it is a field header, and each item in that field operates identically based on the properties assigned to that field. Values may differ, but thatโ€™s about it; i.e. within a given field column, there wonโ€™t be a formula in one space, a rollup in another, a manually-entered date in another, etc.

In that light, the information entered into the field headerโ€™s description should accurately apply to every data item in that field. If you have something in one field โ€œcellโ€ of one particular record (row) thatโ€™s dramatically different contextually from all other items in that field column, then it sounds like you might not have a clear understanding of how databases differ from spreadsheets in both design and intended usage.

Arthur_Godiva
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I get there is a big difference between a spreadsheet and a DB. I just want to be able to write a note for why a value is that value. For example if the drop down options are yes, no, maybe. Maybe could have a note explaining why. especially if its just one note needed, I dont want to create a whole column called explanation after every single column.