Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Composite primary field

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exterrestris
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

It’d be great if the primary field for a table could be defined as consisting of multiple fields. For example, I have a “Movies Watched” base containing a table listing movies, and another table listing viewings. The viewings table has a link to the movies table and a date. Each viewing record can be uniquely identified by the combination of the movie and date. At present, since there is only one primary field, and that field cannot be a lookup, I have to set the primary field as a formula concatenating the movie lookup and date to create a fake composite field.

A (simpler) alternative would be allowing the primary field to be hidden - as if the primary field is a formula based on other fields (such as in this instance) the data making up this primary field is already displayed elsewhere, and any fields used to create that primary field cannot be hidden if you want to be able to (easily) edit them.

1 Comment
John_Prior1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I was looking for the same thing.

A formula field seems to be the recommended way to create a composite primary field:

https://support.airtable.com/hc/en-us/articles/215436738