Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Conditional Fields outside of Automations

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Drew_Nemer1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I have often incorporated many complicated automations in order to prevent employees from updating records to certain statuses without inputting certain required fields first.

I wish there was a way that I can make a field editable dependent on conditions, such as if these other fields are not blank. Instead of creating an automation work around.

For instance, I don’t want employees to mark a record as complete unless if they input the Field A and Field B. Right now I have an automation that goes on condition that if a record is marked complete and Field A and/or Field B is not completed, that it would revert to the previous status and send an email to the employee notifying them.

However, I would like it so that that the employee literally cannot click and edit the Single Selection Field unless they completed the previous steps in the workflow I am attempting to generate.

1 Comment
Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

I’ve explored many ideas surrounding this limitation of Airtable. The only one that I’d consider as an acceptable workaround, is by using a Script Extension with a pre-programmed selection process that does allow for the next selection of records to be filtered based off of previous selections and other record cell values.

It too, has limitations (such as, the inability to query visible fields in a view means that some of the script will need to be hard-coded), and the most prominent limitation is that the Scripting Extension doesn’t currently work within an Interface Environment.

Many of us have been waiting years for the field prerequisites - and Airtable have introduced new features which come close (such as limit Link Field selection based off of View) however do not meet the specified requirement that you’re needing.

If running your workflow run through the Scripting App could potentially solve this shortfall - let me know, I’ve been meaning to find time to put together a showcase of my Scripting Extension, and this might prompt me to do it. :slightly_smiling_face: