Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Grouping options for dates

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Janice_Levenha1
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

With almost every table I build, I want to be able to group by year and month chronologically. However, most of the time I have a full date (with the day) on there as well. Hence, almost every table I build I have to create multiple extra columns to pull the year and month (both together and separately) in order to be able to have groups chronologically. This is to see what projects are happening in each month, how many items are sold each year, what tasks need to be done each month, what expenses happened each month, etc etc. And if I do a pretty format for the month and year (January 1, 2023) in one table, I still have to do another column that is YYYY-MM in order to use it as the group if I want it in chronological order, which is then not pretty (2023-1) for the group name. It would be great to be able to have something that is smart enough to give you options on grouping and sorting that is based on your date column’s YYYY-MM or YYYY-MM-DD (whatever you choose) equivalent so that these columns don’t need to be made every time. Even though they can be hidden once they’re set up, it’s a lot of repetition and bloat. Added a couple screenshots for examples, although I’m sure most people know what I’m talking about!
Screenshot 2022-11-24 at 3.28.15 PM
Screenshot 2022-11-24 at 3.29.00 PM

3 Comments
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yeah, it’s pretty annoying. Be sure to send this as a feature request to support@airtable.com.

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

@ScottWorld - we can only hope that the Airtable development team will action the popular votes from this Product Ideas community forum. 

Andy_Lin1
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

I have helper columns for year, month, and week. This would definitely help.