Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Dark/Night Mode

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SUPRVLLAN
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I’ve been using Airtable for a couple of weeks now and absolutely love the app. However, using it at night is blinding with all the white, so it would be great to have a Dark/Night mode similar to the dark Twitter theme or similar. Any plans for this on the road map?

84 Comments
Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Watching this thread - Airtable Devs need to address this and add a dark-mode. Many people using Airtable during all hours, and they need to start catering for them.

LouD82

I don’t feel that Dark Reader or similar options are an adequate solution. Although they offer a reasonable amount of customizability, most ad-hoc dark mode solutions end up making interfaces look awkward and using Dark Reader with Airtable is no exception. Afaik, it also only works in the browser and not the native client which I prefer.

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Yah, I’ve installed Dark Reader since reading this thread, but found that it changes all colours, and considering I’m using the Airtable Colour Palette app for navigating colours, it’s not really a viable solution.

smg

Dark Reader or other 3rd party dark mode hacks are not a viable solution, only a stop-gap.

The real solution is for AT devs to get cracking on a true dark mode for both web app and native mobile apps like their competitors have.

Ankur_Pansari
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Also requesting Dark Mode

Emmanuel_Galind

what’s wrong with you Airtable, :confused: why aren’t you listening to us, we’ve been asking you for a dark mode for a long time, almost everyone has a dark mode, why don’t you, help us keep our eyesight for longer, please Airtable, it’s time to. DarckMode.

App to Mac

Dominik_Bosnjak
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

It’s a company with a ten-digit valuation, these things require brainstorming sessions, supervisory designations, a few briefings, exactly one meeting involving a whiteboard that edges on the informative instead of annoying, a period of reasonable teambuilding success lending itself to a company-wide morale boost at just the right moment for it to make a difference when the designer-in-chief is trying to force their next moment of inspiration on Sunday evening… and voila, we’re getting a new hamburger menu icon for Christmas!

But for a complete visual revamp of the website that also happens to be indistinguishable from the product itself and, for all intents and purposes, is the product? How does ‘never’ sound? To me, it sounds like our cue.

I remember reading an old interview with the co-founder/CEO - specifically him describing how they took two years to make a prototype prior to launching Airtable via producthunt.com, in part because they were obsessing over the color palette.

Back then, they were on par with the latest pack of Notion-to-be templates from a self-proclaimed productivity-influencer-guru, things-to-show-for-it-wise. ‘It’ being the millions taken from angel investors to launch their next big idea. So, way worse than the guru-in-chief because that guy or gal is at least pocketing some steady Benjamins on a daily basis even today. They didn’t need a million bucks to launch a spreadsheet. By the time Airtable finally launched, their ponzi-adjacent scheme already produced dozens of iconic $9.59 newsletter templates and to-do list layouts, one for every few suckers drawn in.

That’s who they were on par with back then. But they chose to prioritize the obsessing over the details like the list of available filter colors - in an app inviting tinkerer’s and advertising customizability (users will always find a way to make it ugly).

Or, how about this: centering and justifying text is, to this date and despite protests - also still a purposeful omission from Airtable. Though recreatable via formulas (god, never again), that simple formatting feature is withheld as a design choice. Does that sound like a company that will risk its entire brand (still the majority of its valuation, from what I can tell) because of a few annoyed forum posts? Nah, I don’t see this happening - possibly ever, or at least not under the current management. And certainly not because of anything we say here.

I’m not saying Airtable’s success has anything to do with that (but - duh), or that you should be happy to stare at source of light not colored in accordance with your preferences and respective of any medical conditions. But by now, it’s 100% clear they’re an opinionated brand who wouldn’t touch a div on their legal page without a focus group report (also because it was written in React, that thing is literally just gibberish). And t’s 2021, posting angry comments about Airtable’s unwillingness to finance your dark mode preferences (which I very much share) kind of sounds like a master’s in futility.

Regarding the Windows app, I’m not a fan of missing features, so can’t say I’ve had it installed for long, but have you tried installing the website itself? Upper-right corner > install as App, wording is browser-dependent? Because it is a PWA . And the PWA version is fully customizable because… it’s a PWA, so just a hipster website with even more JavaScript than before ( feels like we’ve been saying this since js was inveted lol).

Edit: Just to be clear, I was responding to three or four particularly anxious posters from the last few weeks here; please don’t feel singled out, I’m equally grumpy regardless of what you do.

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Although it’s not what we’re after - the Dark Mode browser plug-in is definitely worth it. Since reading this thread, I’ve downloaded and started using it on many sites, well worth checking out.

Ste
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

No dark mode in 2021… OKK

Carter_McKay

+10 for DARK MODE. I would love this feature, as SaaS company in 2021 there should already be a darkmode.