Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Dedupe - Merge fields from duplicated records, Merge data A (AND) data B, instead of data A (OR) B

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UNION
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello, I like Dedupe function, but I feel one thing still missing…
For example, We have 1 set of Duplicated data here,
2 data has 2 different information in the same field, and I would like to merge 2 different information in the primary record.
Data 1 -Email = aaa@xxx.com Data 2-Email = 0 aaa@xxx.com
Data 1 -purchased= Apple Date 2-purchased = Lemon

I need to merge 2 data because e-mail is same, but I want to keep Apple and lemon under same data.
(I wanted to add a picture, but this system does not seem to allow me to do it… )

I understand we can select only one field to be primary field, but Is there any way to keep and merge all information from all duplicated data?
Looking forward to hear from you soon.

15 Comments
UNION

Hi, I received reply from Airtable customer service. According to them,
Dedupe is only able to marge whole of data A or whole of data B, we are not able to mix and match from data A or B.
I think we are not asking too much, so I switched this subject as ‘Prouduct Suggesetions’,
I wonder if I could get support from lots of people who had same experience.
:thinking:

vilars_xavier
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Agree it so simple to code ! And so natural for a merging tool !

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Kind of annoying that this simple update to the Merge App hasn’t been made. Time we poked Airtable devs for this feature. The description of the app says “Identify duplicate records and delete or merge them” - but this is absolutely not the case as there is no ability to merge two records with differing “Look Up” fields into one “Look Up” field. The user can choose which record field they want to keep, but that is not the same as a merge.

Rebecca_Mqamelo
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 on all of the above – another simple yet critical feature that is making my use of the tool very frustrating.

Alexey_Gusev
12 - Earth
12 - Earth

Hi,

I had similar scenario and even tried to write my own ‘bulk deduper’ script to merge data in hundreds of duplicates, in table containing thousands of records. Result was far from what I’ve expected.

Instead, I can recommend following: use second method from here , add more lookups in temporary table (don’t forget you may use built-in lookup conditional filter).