Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Download snapshots?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris_Sanders
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I’m finding that Airtable does so many things right, and I want to use it in my nonprofit for client/case/volunteer management, but I’m hesitant to throw all of our eggs in that basket without the ability to locally back up the data—at least once in awhile—including attachments. It would be very valuable to us to be able to download the snapshots, and then restore from them later, if needed. (Note: I’m assuming that snapshots include attachments…that would be key)

23 Comments
zola_mzimba
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Glad to see I’m not alone. Using air table for all my work but concerned the only backup source is with air table. The more I use it the more concerned I am that I have no other backup. Feel that this issue is being put on the long finger and after reading this I realise I’m not alone.

Arash_Hajikhani
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi, any updates for having the attachments being downloaded with the csv file?
I have figured out some solution for automatic download of the urls of my attachments which is provided in the csv file. But still curious to see if a master solution would be on the way…

Ryan_Lavalley
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

We would be much more excited about moving out client tracking to this service if we knew there was an easy and frequent way to back up the data locally and restore it if necessary.

Dan_Kang
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is there any update on this feature? Being able to download data as a backup is a key missing feature that is preventing our company from using Airtable. Bonus points if this was something that could be automated as a downloadable zip.

But until then forget about it. It is too easy to input vast amounts of data into Airtable and then lose it. I’m not going to take that risk. Might as well keep using Excel.

I hope Airtable isn’t deliberately holding this feature back in order to coerce people into upgrading into the paid version that lets you have extended snapshots. If so that would be really stupid. I don’t mind paying for Airtable, just let me have control of my data.

Nat
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I’ve seen this same thing many times, so I figured we would build a way to get external backups automatically. Check out the show and tell we did for it last week here: How to set up automatic external backups for Airtable in 20 minutes

Martina_Kudelci
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is there an update on when this could be available?

Moe
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

We’ve built a tool that lets you auto-export backups regularly to Dropbox.

TFP
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

We released an open-source tool to do this, which allows making automated backups of your Airtable base.

It runs using AWS, and the backups are therefore stored into your own AWS Account so that you keep data ownership.

As a company, that’s what we use, to have our own external backups.

Burner
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I’m in need of accessing snapshot data so looking to understand this method a bit better. Can we down a view of the CSV once we’ve gone to a newer version of the base/table. So for example if snapshot 1 was last month, snapshot 2 was at the start of this month. Can I download CSVs for snapshot one without having to take my entire base back to snapshot 1? Because if I do that, then I lose all the values in the current state of my base. Perhaps I’m misunderstanding your solution so any clarification would be much appreciated.

Jon_Stephenson
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

@Airtable_Admin1 @Airtable_admin3 Any update on this planned update to export functionality please?