Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Duplicate Table to Different Base

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caleb_Weeks
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi AirTable Team,

Thank you so much for AirTable – it’s been so inspiring and helpful!

Feature Request: “Would it ever be possible to duplicate an AirTable Table to a different AirTable Base?”

Use Case: After creating a great Table with customized fields we realize, “This table would work great in another base we already have going. Let me just export it to CSV and Import.” While this gets us most of the way there, we lose the field type customizations in the process (i.e. Single Select, Multiple Select, Attachment, URL, Currency, etc.).

For now, I am happy to go back through the 18 fields (in our case) and customize each field type. Simply changing it to an “Attachment” or “URL” is no problem, but where it takes a little bit more time is in recreating or cleaning up the Single Select and Multiple Select options. We have a number of those fields and have to edit again, add, etc.

Idea for Implementation: Perhaps in the Table arrow dropdown we could enhance the “Duplicate Table” option that is already there so that, when clicked, it presents a new window that lets the user select which Base they want to duplicate this Table to. The dialogue/window might look similar to the one we see when we switch Bases by pressing Cmd+K: we can simply start typing the Base name with the ability to duplicate the Table to that Base. This might be one of many ways to introduce this functionality.

If the feature request ever makes it to the AirTable “Let’s do this” list, of course that would be exciting for me, but I know there are other priorities as well!

Thanks again for AirTable(!) and to the teams, friendships, and vision behind it – keep up the good work! :slightly_smiling_face:

49 Comments
Lynne_Fetterman

I found this doesn’t work in Firefox (won’t copy the data structure) but will in Chrome.

Lawrence_Fiorel
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

The copy and paste option works fine if you only have one view to recreate on the new base. But I’ve got a table with multiple views all filtered differently, as well as a number of forms with customized text. Copy and pasting and then recreating my views and forms will take quite a bit of time. It makes this copy and paste solution not a strong enough answer to this feature request. Would really love to be able to copy an entire table and its views, completely as-is, to another base in one or two clicks. I love Airtable, but this would be a significant improvement. Thanks!

Hannah_Garza
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi @Howie_Liu, if I copy and paste the cells into a new base, will it automatically link the cells so both bases are updated with new information added/edited/deleted?

openside
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hi @Hannah_Garza - unfortunately it doesn’t work that way. Copying creates a new copy and they are not linked when you copy to a new base. If you copy within a single base (i.e. between tables) then it will keep the linked relationship. But not between bases.

Hannah_Garza
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Howie, thanks for your response! So if I’m wanting to use the same data in one base and all the updates that will occur there, how can I create a new base and/or table with that copy the same linked information?

openside
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hi Hannah - you can’t :frowning: That is the #1 requested feature.

btw - I’m not Howie. Howie is the CEO of Airtable. I figured he’s pretty busy these days so thought I’d jump in to answer :slightly_smiling_face:

Hannah_Garza
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hey @openside! I realized after I sent the last message. Thank you for your responses, I will just have to come up with a workaround. :winking_face:

Lawrence_Ames
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

You do win! Worked like a champ! I would just add after #16 to click yes to the “Expand Table” query. Thank you!!

Lorenzo_Castro

Yes, it would be amazing to duplicate a table to another base and keep the two synchronised - and it would also (kind of) solve the “link to tables across bases” issue :slightly_smiling_face:

Ephraim_Bismuth

THANKSSSSSSS ! great job
thanks a lot a lot