Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Duplicate Table to Different Base

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caleb_Weeks
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi AirTable Team,

Thank you so much for AirTable – it’s been so inspiring and helpful!

Feature Request: “Would it ever be possible to duplicate an AirTable Table to a different AirTable Base?”

Use Case: After creating a great Table with customized fields we realize, “This table would work great in another base we already have going. Let me just export it to CSV and Import.” While this gets us most of the way there, we lose the field type customizations in the process (i.e. Single Select, Multiple Select, Attachment, URL, Currency, etc.).

For now, I am happy to go back through the 18 fields (in our case) and customize each field type. Simply changing it to an “Attachment” or “URL” is no problem, but where it takes a little bit more time is in recreating or cleaning up the Single Select and Multiple Select options. We have a number of those fields and have to edit again, add, etc.

Idea for Implementation: Perhaps in the Table arrow dropdown we could enhance the “Duplicate Table” option that is already there so that, when clicked, it presents a new window that lets the user select which Base they want to duplicate this Table to. The dialogue/window might look similar to the one we see when we switch Bases by pressing Cmd+K: we can simply start typing the Base name with the ability to duplicate the Table to that Base. This might be one of many ways to introduce this functionality.

If the feature request ever makes it to the AirTable “Let’s do this” list, of course that would be exciting for me, but I know there are other priorities as well!

Thanks again for AirTable(!) and to the teams, friendships, and vision behind it – keep up the good work! :slightly_smiling_face:

49 Comments
Jeri_Vespoli
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thank you for this! You’ve at least given us some of our field types back with this very well written solution. Your time is VERY much appreciated. Airtable is now referring people to your post when we once again request the ability to duplicate and move tables! Rob (Airtable Support)

"Sep 12, 4:14 PM PDT

Hi Jeri,

Take a look at James Hahn’s post here. This workaround accomplishes most of the heavy lifting with a requirement to rebuild formulas. It’s not perfect but it’s something! Unfortunately, I don’t have a timeline on a table copy feature though it is a heavily requested one."

Still, having developed dozens of formulas and linked tables, I and others like me are left with no viable solution from Airtable for a much needed feature.

Brenda_Ginsberg
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks for this! It worked.

Kurosh_Hashemi
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

All hail King James for saving the people! :crown:

Rene_Caballero
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

You saved me days of work! Thanks James!

Ed_Singer
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you…

Team_Water
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Someone warned already - this does not work in Firefox. It did work in the PC Desktop ‘app’. Someone said it does also work in Chrome.

Pierre_Poujaud
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Create a sync table and then remove the syncing
This allows you to duplicate a table from one base to another

Charlotte-Ameli
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Everyone,

I’ve tried everything, and… it does not work !

• Deleting all the cell, columns and rows
  • Deleting other table
  • Using Chrome

I still have the message about expanding the cells, and it always only copy the content and not the structure.

Anyone has an idea of what to do ?

Thanks,

Mike_Sweat
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

There’s another simple way now. In short it is using “Share View”