Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Feature request: ability to add data to blank "Created by" fields

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stephen_S
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi,
We’ve been waiting a long time for the “Created by” field and are glad it’s here. Before this we were manually recording this data in a “Record created by” collaborator field. We’d like to add this data into the empty fields that have been created by adding the new “Created by” field to existing tables.

Stephen

3 Comments
Paul_Warren
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

You may be able to accomplish this with 3 fields:

1. Your legacy manual input field ({Record Created by})
  2. The new “Created by” field ({Created by})
  3. A formula that checks if there is a value in “Create by”, if not return the legacy input. It would looks something like this:

IF({Created by}, {Created by}, {Record created by})

Stephen_S
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi and thanks for the response. I tried this and liked that it ensures that the record creator is captured one or another. I wish that the value it entered would be a collaboratore one (so, appearing with the collaborator icon instead of just regular text). I’m worried that might throw our users off, but I may be too worried about that.

Stephen

Paul_Warren
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

@Stephen_S,

I have the same concern frequently with linked record formulas. Unfortunately, I don’t know anyway around that, so you just have to accept the output will be plain boring text.

I’m glad it worked!