Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Find a Record to Link - Search Expansion

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jason_Woltz
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

20160209210149807.png

The ability to input a new record into my maintenance table requires choosing a record to link from my assets table. The issue of using auto number Unique Id’s for each table means the linked record search is not very useful. I have a table of more than 100 assets of different types. The “find a record to link” search function only lets you search according to the unique id, without being able to thin the search down by using the other columns like Type, or Asset Designation, or Manufacturer or Serial Number.

I believe a suggestion was made to allow a user to create a filter for the “find a record to link” search, but I think simply expanding the search capability beyond the first column would be ideal.

29 Comments
Joel1
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I also desperately need this feature. I want to to create a share view without having to reveal sensitive information (which is my search criteria), thus my sensitive information has to move to another column.

Nat_Wiseman

Yes please!!! We are unable to use formulas in our Primary Field as we are replicating the data structure of another database (WooCoommerce) - would be really helpful to be able to search for products to link to without having to know their IDs off by heart!

HeyTable
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Surely not the best way, but this worked for me - but it’s primarily useful as a one off:

1. Duplicate table (incl. “copy records”)
  2. Go to duplicated table
  3. Duplicate the primary field - create a copy of it
  4. Copy the column with the records you want to search for and paste it over the primary field column
  5. Create a linked record column based on your new primary field
  6. Add lookup fields as desired
  7. You can now paste values you want to be looked up into your linked record column
  8. Then, your lookup field columns will populate
  9. If you add your duplicated primary field as a lookup field, you can copy the column back to a linked record column in your original table, and it will do a lookup based on the original primary field

To be clear, this is of limited use, but it may work for certain limited use cases.

Benjamin_James_
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This is basic, BASIC functionality that is shockingly absent. Since yesterday, I’ve sunk about 10 hours into learning Airtable, but this oversight means it is time to look at other options.

Heather_Choi
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

A little baffled to see this issue unresolved by Airtable.
My inventory is grouped by order # and then numbered upon receipt.
Feels a little ridiculous looking up item #, making note and then scrolling through Linked Record options to select the correct record amongst all of the records with the same item # (but diff order #).
+1!!!

HitomiM
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yes, we really want this feature!
We set form numbers(i.e. order numbers, manufacturer’s numbers) in primary field.
but we have to search and link record by product-cd instead.

Artie_Gee
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This is much needed.

Ruben_Fernande1

Another +1 to the feature petition

Allen_Moldovan
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

+1, its been years since linked record functionality has been enhanced.

1. Swap “limit record selection to a view” with a config custom filter option(akin to look/roll ups)
  2. Allow additional filtering within the record picker interface
  3. MY DREAM, allow dynamic filtering within ask 1. The ability to set the value of a filter to equal the value of a separate field in the destination table would be amazing!