Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Form date validation & keypad selection

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michelle_Brueck
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I noticed that using a URL form to enter a field specified as a date.
When I click on the field it provides a calendar to select a data, which is good, but on the iPhone iOS 9.2.1 the top of the calendar was truncated precluding selection of a date early than this week.

It turned out we could also manually type into this field, however when I entered a dd value of 99
it was happy accepted. I should also note that the entry formate was different that the one species in air table for that date field.

Ideally, on the URL form we could only select from the calendar in such a way that the calendar actually was all visible, or if we had to enter a date manually, an appropriate numeric only keyboard would appear. Right now the calendar selection appears, then the keyboard appears , and pushes the calendar off the top of the screen, this is why it is truncated I think.

1 Comment
Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hi Michelle,

I’ll try and address your points one at a time:

Regarding date validation: If you attempt to type an invalid date in a form on iOS, it treats it as if the cell were blank instead. For example, in this form, the date field is not required:
IMG_0065.png

Submitting the form as seen above will end up displayed in the base like this, with nothing in the date field:
Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 10.33.10 AM.png

If, however, we make the date field required, then this is what happens when you try and enter an invalid date:
IMG_0066.png

If your concern is that people will enter invalid data into the form that will then show up in the main view, this won’t actually happen—the worst-case scenario is that no data is accepted at all, and the field ends up being blank. If you wish to avoid this, simply make the field required. Then the person using the form will be forced to enter the data correctly.

Regarding the entry format for the dates: The format for the dates on the form should exactly reproduce the date format as specified for that field in the main view. For example, here’s the field configuration menu for the date field:
Screen_Shot_2016-03-30_at_10_42_18_AM.png
Here’s the date field as it looks in the form configuration:
0c3d3073bb2834879651ea2d277ab38ade99706b.png
And here’s the field as it looks when you encounter it in finished form on iOS:
488b2ce4c0d52ff52f49c9bad8d7499e7e16084f.png
Do you happen to have any screenshots of the entry format being different from the one specified in the field configuration menu?

Regarding the truncated calendar: I can’t reproduce this myself—would it be possible for you to send a screenshot of the truncated calendar? Thanks!