Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Form to edit data

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Katherine_Harkn
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

At the moment the form only allows input of new data. Can we have a form for editing existing records? At the moment we can only edit in the table meaning I can’t present the records the way I want. Can’t even hide columns on mobile, meaning the users are free to wreak havoc on the existing data :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

163 Comments
FourDots
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

We would badly need this feature as well.
We are building my CRM in Airtable and would like to develop a full persona building survey, where people in the CRM would receive links to the a web form that corresponds to the People record in the CRM Table.
The data from the questionnaire would then be easily grouped, segmented and analyzed, and connected to other records and views in the CRM Table.
Any chance we can expect this soon. We’d prefer not to have to use Zapier for this.

Day
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

In case we’re in need of more examples, I will add how this would be beneficial in our workflow:

We have 100s of new projects each year and log all project information in AirTable. This information comes from other departments and we’ve developed a form for them to submit their portion of the project information. Unfortunately, because we’re unable to update existing records, we had to create a whole new table to receive the submitted forms and then manually input the same data into our Project Information table. This is unnecessarily tedious and it seems the solution is within reach. I would be very glad to see this implemented as it would also boost our chances of staying with AirTable.

Ken_Russell
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Thanks Aaron,

You’ve summarized the issue perfectly!

I’ll be so curious to see what folks come up with – perhaps AT will deliver some (or all!) of this sometime very soon.

Meanwhile, I’m very glad to say in contact and share ideas on the subject.

Best,

Ken

Simon_Moore
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Here’s a specific example

We have independent agents

1. We create leads and share those with agents
  2. So the records in that case are CREATED by us
  3. The agent visits the lead
  4. We want them to modify certain information - and add info to the EXISTING record but not change or even see other parts of the record
    Cheers
Giles_Croft

Hi, yes, my needs are quite simple. I have a bunch of prospective clients who are already in a table, in the most basic form (their name, where I met them, maybe)

When they become an actual client, I want to be able to send them a form to fill in all their missing contact details, such as phone number, email address, website, other details etc.

At the moment I have to send them a blank form (with their name pre-filed) and then manage the duplicate entries manually. It’s very time consuming and not really in keeping with the ethos of an excellent database app!

Thanks… it’s been two years since this was raised. Is it on the cards??

Andrew_Buckley1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m in exactly the same situation. This seems like the most basic of requirements for a form based database, rather like sharing a formatted “form” of selected pieces of data with a third party. Trying to use Airtable to manage a team, but need to personally enter updates to HR data rather than send them a “is this correct” email once every few months, without allowing each individual to see others’ potentially sensitive data. Extremely odd to continue to omit this after 2 years and so many people saying this is a sine qua non…

MONKiAIR

How hard can this be if we already have this feature?

You can choose to include the ID of the record that will be created by the form in the redirect URL by including the variable {record_id}. You can use this to redirect the submitter of the form to the record that they’ve just created (assuming that the form submitter has access to the base).

Screen_Shot_2018-05-02_at_11_52_36_AM.png

Guide to forms

Airtable forms let you collect information from anyone and save it automatically to an Airtable base. They're perfect for logging expenses, collecting RSVPs, creating polls and quizzes, collecting ...

Sam_Wood

I’m working on a solution using the AirTable API. Anyone wants to give it a try & give me feedback? Let’s get in contact https://airtable.com/shrvNWXRawvupNPCf

Ryan_Moeggenber
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I use Airtable for my magazine. I have forms to collect elements for advertisements and another to collect elements for articles. Some information will repeat for advertisements and some elements will stay the same. I would not want to ask the advertiser to upload their logo and all new information for every issue but want to allow them to make changes to their copy or artwork.

Julian_Kirkness
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hi Ryan

There’s no direct Airtable option for doing this at the moment - but you could consider the following workflow as an option:

1. For new clients, have them complete a form with their company information - logo, name etc. You could even include information about their first ad.

2. When this is complete, use Zapier or Integromat (the latter is arguably more powerful and can also run once per minute (subject to Plan) to take the input and email the client a link to a pre-filled form for submitting their copy. You would need to have a calculated field in Airtable (in their Company record) to calculate this URL - such as:

(Note - this is a link to an enquiry form in my Airtable)

with a formula like this:

https://airtable.com/shraol5uw1W8nktcP?prefill_Company=” & SUBSTITUTE({Name}," “,”%20")

1. This would allow a customer to submit further ad copy etc whilst their Company would be pre-filled and would be captured into an Ad Copy table or some such.

2. One issue here is that you can’t pre-fill a Link field and so to complete the process you would need to either manually attach the record to the Company in the other table or use another Zap or Integromat ‘Scenario’ to lookup the company by name and then fill in the linking field with the Company ID.

I hope this is some help?