Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

FR: Offline mode

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Evan_Smith
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This would show the last known table schema and data that was shown, but would allow to make records and sync when the mobile device comes back online. Issues would be resolved via the web to validate issues.

224 Comments
Alyssa_Lund-Kyr
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

How would you want to use Airtable offline? Iโ€™m a wedding photographer! I want to use Airtable at wedding fairs, expos, and events to create a database of couples that I talk to - I create a personal CRM-type form as I go, and I donโ€™t always have internet.

Do you use Airtable alone, or with collaborators? I use it alone!

How much do you need to be able to do in Airtable while offline? Mostly, Iโ€™d like to be able to create records and then edit those records.

How tolerant would you be of having to resolve merge conflicts manually? VERY tolerant. As long as I knew it before I went offline, itโ€™d be way worth it to still have the offline option. If someone wasnโ€™t up for that, they could just choose not to use the offline features.

Would you primarily be using offline mode on desktop or mobile? Mobile! I use it on my ipad for this.

Joshua_Soule
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Katherine, I am going to respond to your questions but I also want to ask a couple simple questions for you to consider too, that may help to find an offline solution quickly, with little or no modification to the way your servers currently process requests from collaboratorsโ€ฆ

-How does Airtable CURRENTLY handle collaboration between users when changes are made by UserA who is using a satellite internet connection at 2000 ms latency, and UserB who is using cable internet with 10-12 ms latency. For example; if a request is โ€œtimestampedโ€ (with a UTC Universal Coordinated Time) by UserAโ€™s device BEFORE UserBโ€™s device, but the request from UserB arrives at Airtableโ€™s server first due to lower latency, which request does Airtable process first if the request effects the same record?

-In the hypothetical circumstances described above, does Airtable notify either of the users of the conflict or does it simply overwrite the older change with the newer change and the users are oblivious to the conflict?

-Using the same hypothetical situation described above, now increase the 2000 ms latency to 900,000 ms (15 mins) and I assume the servers would process the requests the same way (provided that Airtable increased the allowed amount of latency between requests and did not reject the requests as being invalid, as I assume it does now). So now, using the same logic, if Airtable servers were programmed to โ€œexpectโ€ and process requests with large amounts of latency, then couldnโ€™t we increase this to any amount of time?

I am interested to know the answers to those questions, and then maybe we arenโ€™t very far from making offline access a reality. Then when a user โ€œtoggles offline modeโ€ or is โ€œforcedโ€ offline by bad service, they can continue to work, knowing that as soon as they toggle back online, or when service becomes available again, their changes will be processed in the same way they would be otherwise.

Now I will respond to your questionsโ€ฆ
-here are a few use cases; journal, fitness, vehicle maintenance, inventory, hiking, fishing, camping, navigating, road trips, travel, photography, geocache, contacts, tasks, you name itโ€ฆ databases are great for it but you canโ€™t count on coverage being everywhere. we arenโ€™t asking for this for the 99% uptime we haveโ€ฆ we are asking because of the 1% downtime which can last from minutes (tunnel like you said) to days (camping trip or road trip or anything that takes you off the grid)
-most of the world and even most of the united states has incomplete and/or intermittent coverage (see attached), especially rural areas. i could (and have) listed many use cases as examples of why i need offline coverage but in the end, it comes down toโ€ฆ we need offline coverage regardless of whether we are using it for a glorious, enterprise solution that connects 1000 employees with contact data, product information and task managementโ€ฆ or someone simply wants to keep track of their oil changes. big or small, complex or simpleโ€ฆ if people are going to get on board with a database system they need to know it works under all internet conditions, not just the ideal ones. if airtable is going to be widely adopted (which i believe it can become) it needs to provide solutions for users in a wide variety of circumstances, not just those working in modern cities. some of this may come across rude but actually i hold you guys in high respect for what you have created; just remember your customer base could be much greater when everyone, including low income, rural, low bandwidth customers can all use airtable and recommend it to their friends and family.

2481c484230b1656f681d60029d142183d06a54e.png

Joshua_Soule
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

since i ranted and forgot to answer some of the questions, i will respond to those nowโ€ฆ

How would you want to use Airtable offline?
[see previous reply] journal, fitness, hiking, camping, fishing, maintenance schedules, tasks, photography, apps and software database, contacts, inventory, messages, calendar events, gift ideas, and lots more. my ideas are mostly for personal use at the moment but i also work for a company that has branches all over the world and i am considering using airtable to coordinate on quotes, item data, contact info, and other things that are currently exchanged via complex spreadsheets (yuck).

Do you use Airtable alone, or with collaborators?
currently alone, but i would recommend it more to others and find more collaborative uses for it if were not dependent on internet connectivity which varies from place to place, home to home, business to business, and street to street.

How much do you need to be able to do in Airtable while offline?
create, edit and delete records, but not change table structure or relationships

How tolerant would you be of having to resolve merge conflicts manually?
tolerant, if the changes were presented in a concise, easy to read format with a simple โ€œacceptโ€ or โ€œrejectโ€ button for each change, each table, each base, or all changes.

Would you primarily be using offline mode on desktop or mobile?
primarily mobile (iphone), however i also use mac at home, windows at home, and windows at work, and browsers everywhere so all platforms are important.

hope this feedback helps!

Howie
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

CEO of Airtable here. Thanks everyone for your feedback so far!

Iโ€™ll address joshua_souleโ€™s question, which I interpret as/distill into โ€œcan offline read/write access be thought of in the same way as online collaboration, but with exaggerated latency.โ€ The answer is: not entirely.

Some Airtable user actions, such as editing a cell or creating/deleting new rows, are performed immediately on the clientโ€™s local data representation (see related concepts of โ€œoptimistic UI updating,โ€ โ€œoptimistic concurrency,โ€ and โ€œeventual consistencyโ€). Thus, they could theoretically be performed offline. In fact, you can do so today by disconnecting your internet connection without closing the browser tab or the iOS/Android app, making changes, then reconnectingโ€”in absence of any conflicting changes from other clients, your offline edits should seamlessly sync.

The problem is that if changes are made from multiple clients simultaneouslyโ€”whether by a team collaborator, or yourself from multiple offline devicesโ€”these clients increasingly diverge in their local states. In other words, if the Airtable server is the โ€œreal world,โ€ each client gets more and more carried away with their imagination and starts to construct their own alternate reality. (Actually, this problem would remain even if you took away the Airtable server and instead made the system peer to peer, at which point you would have to grapple with consensus determination, which becomes increasingly complicated as the data model becomes more sophisticated, i.e. an entire relational database instead of simple numerical values).

Some amount of (or more accurately, โ€œsome types ofโ€) divergence can be cleanly merged together: for instance, if you and I edit completely different cell values without making any other changes. In these cases, itโ€™s obvious that our intended changes are completely independent of each other and can be trivially resolved. (For some very simple data structures, you can even construct a highly limited โ€œworldโ€ where changes can always be cleanly merged together, but this doesnโ€™t work for more sophisticated applications).

However, this isnโ€™t always true. In some cases, our respective intents come into conflict. Within these cases, itโ€™s sometimes still easy for Airtable to arbitrate our dispute and make a decision on what the outcome should beโ€”in the case of two people overwriting the same cell value, the last edit received by the server wins. Note that for many cell types, Airtableโ€™s behavior is actually a bit more advanced than โ€œlast-edit-winsโ€. For instance, if a multi select cell contains options Albatross and Buzzard, and you remove option Albatross from the cell (thus locally believing the resultant state to be Buzzard) while I simultaneously add option Cockatoo to the multi select cell (thus locally believing the resultant state to be Albatross, Buzzard, Cockatoo), Airtable actually resolves the resultant state to Buzzard and Cockatoo so that both of our intents are preserved, rather than simply clobbering one of our changes with the other .

Sometimes, though, thereโ€™s no clear way (not just for Airtable, but on a theoretical level) to resolve the conflicting intentsโ€”if one user changes a column, and another simultaneously changes values in the old column, for instance, itโ€™s unclear what the human-desirable outcome is. One of the usersโ€™ intents must prevail (at least partially) over the otherโ€™s. This is where having 2 seconds of online latency is different from 2 days of latency (i.e. offline mode). With 2 seconds of latency, the most work youโ€™ll lose or need to manually re-perform is 2 seconds. With 2 days of latency, you could potentially lose up to 2 days of work, as your subsequent changes could depend on the first change, which will be rejected. In other words, offline mode prevents you as the user from getting near-realtime feedback that a change being rejected due to another clientโ€™s conflicting changes, and instead lets you spiral increasingly into an invalid world of local state which becomes growingly impossible to resolve with the other clientsโ€™ world(s).

As far as I know, there are no database systems that gracefully handle all of the above problems. (Airtable is the first end-user relational database that handles fully realtime collaboration). We do believe this is an important feature, but there are necessarily tradeoffs to be made in its design. Your detailed feedback will help guide us to design the right tradeoffs.

Joshua_Soule
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Howie,

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain these obstacles in more detail. One solution comes to mind, but of course it has drawbacks like any other solution. I wonder if this might be a potential solutionโ€ฆ

While still connected, a user may intentionally request (via toggle switch) to put a specific base in offline mode. In response to this request, the server notes the UserName and UTC timestamp of the request, sends a response back to the userโ€™s device and the device makes a local copy and goes offline.

While offline, the userโ€™s device prohibits structure changes to the base, such as addition or deletion of tables and fields, editing field types, formulas, relationship types, etc while offline. When the user requests to go back online, the device sends a copy of the base to the server, the server compares each table to existing tables and informs the user if any changes conflict with other user changes and if conflicts cannot be resolved via the timestamp and normal rules, then the server offers to export a summary of conflicts in the form of a common text file format (csv for example) containing the table names, record names and list of conflicts. The device should also include a warning message when the user makes the request to go offline, that offline usage carries some risks that incompatible changes could be made by other users while the device is offline and if that happens, a clean merge could become impossible when device goes back online. The user must acknowledge and accept the terms in order to enter offline mode. Maybe the base owner would also receive a copy of the request, or maybe just a summary of the conflicts, or none.

By making offline mode an intentional request, with a warning, and with specific limits, I think this would greatly decrease the chances of conflicts and offer a manual solution when conflicts did arise. If the offline user was not the base owner, maybe the base owner should receive the copy of the conflicts and decide what to do with them. Maybe the base owner could also accept / reject the requests to go offline. Or maybe the base owner just delegates users who are allowed to use offline mode, without further approvals. All just ideas that would definitely need fine tuning.

One last twist to this is that maybe other collaborators with edit rights can see a visual indicator when some users are working offline and popup a warning message if attempts are made to change structural and functional parts of the base, besides merely adding, deleting and editing data.

Thoughts?

Howie
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi Joshua, this is one (valid) proposal amongst a permutative spectrum of design possibilities. This particular approach is not too far off, directionally, from some of our internal explorations. As with any other possibility, though, it comes with its own set of advantages and disadvantages. For instance, it would be quite tedious to manually resolve conflicts. (Iโ€™ve personally experienced this pain as an Evernote user; conflicted notes/notebooks appear quite frequently in my usage of that product and require a frustrating amount of extra work to resolve.) Requiring an explicit toggle for offline mode may not help in situations where the internet disappears unexpectedly, or when one forgets to hit the switch ahead of time (i.e. youโ€™re boarding a long flight, and neglect to make the change). In any case, even if the offline client does not allow structural changes, the same class of merge conflicts will arise if other online clients do perform structural changes during that time.

While we appreciate the suggestions for technical implementation, at this point the most useful thing to inform the design is to receive detailed, specific usage stories directly from as many users as possible. With those data points, we can better assemble the various technical mechanisms at our disposal into a cohesive experience that delivers the best set of tradeoffs, where best is informed by our users.

Sven_Fandrem
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I travel and I collect music. My main database is on my collection and I do need to check the database abroad, in the odd cellar and other strange places to avoid bying the same album more than twice. :winking_face:

So far Iโ€™ve used my data alone, but I do see how I can share this with people whoโ€™s looking for a gift to give me.

Create and edit records. I do not need to change the database as such.

Somewhat โ€ฆ Conflicts should be presented in a clear and understandable manner and with a simple way of resolving those conflicts.

Offline mode on mobile only is more than acceptable. One can always find a Starbucks for other uses.

One last note; What I do need most is access to my data, anywhere, at anytime on any device. The last is important; when I travel I use Android & Chromebook, at home I use all the iStuff, PCs and Linux depending on where Iโ€™m at. But I do need to be able to have at least read access.

Benoit_Michaud
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I would be glad to have Airtable offline available exclusively on the read-only mode. It would solve some of the problems above, I guess.

Scott_Bleackley
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Not for profit providing services to seniors to help them remain in their homes.
Contractors and volunteers need to enter visit data. Ideally, much of this would
be pull down selections both from pick lists, i.e. service provided and selection
of actual data, i.e. client name. When client name is entered it would be good
to populate contact information like phone and address.

Currently alone but planning for future collaboration.

Mostly add service data but to do so may require client identification.

In this case conflict management could be tolerated to a small degree, but since remote
data entry is being done by contractors and volunteers the level of technical expertise is minimal.
Typically the only type of management that might work is if they attempt to enter the same service record more than once.

Primarily mobile, but I suppose since we have a very mixed technology case
it could be either.

Dave_Run

Option to set the initial tables as single user upon creation? I like the form / structure / views of airtable as a database as a tool. if your not worried about collaboration and maybe just sharing read only views . That might be an option.