Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

FR: Offline mode

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Evan_Smith
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This would show the last known table schema and data that was shown, but would allow to make records and sync when the mobile device comes back online. Issues would be resolved via the web to validate issues.

224 Comments
Anthony_Painter
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I concur. No offline ability = no travel functionality = no airtable use = other apps fill the void :-(โ€ฆ

alistair_cockbu
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

It is almost a year since this thread started โ€” May I ask where you are with the topic now?

I just created an account for Airtable, because it looks really superb. I donโ€™t like any of the other collaboration tools (Slack included), and this looks to let me work the way I would like to.

As soon as I started to set up the database, I noticed I was working in a browser, and immediately looked for the standalone app mode so I donโ€™t have to always have the browser on and connected to the internet, at which point this topic raised in my mind.

I read the thread, and mostly noticed (besides the technical difficulties, which, as a former programmer, I understand quite well) that the thread is a year old. So - what is the Aug 2017 state, please?

I am working on a fairly complex book + Kickstarter + video library collaborative project, and want to keep track of the parts and allow my colleagues to discuss and contribute as we go. There will be between 3 and 5 key collaborators with access to this db, as I see it. Timeframe is about 6-10 months.

I often find myself working in coffee shops or in locations (Argentina, Colombia, France, Italy, Florida, Washington DC) where there is no internet. But those are the moments when I am working hard on this project. So I need some form of offline work.

I would not need to change the db structure when offline, only add and modify records.
I can collaboratively merge with the others, if we need to. I will be lead author.

I like the suggestion way up high by Howie on Sept 16 about opening the browser, loading the db, turning wifi off, editing away, reconnecting later, and Airtable already handles that! Awesome - I will definitely use that in the next month while I am in the US, at least to try it out.

(ref: "Some Airtable user actions, such as editing a cell or creating/deleting new rows, are performed immediately on the clientโ€™s local data representation. Thus, they could theoretically be performed offline. In fact, you can do so today by disconnecting your internet connection without closing the browser tab or the iOS/Android app, making changes, then reconnectingโ€”in absence of any conflicting changes from other clients, your offline edits should seamlessly sync.)

That proposal presupposes that I can load the db before I head to the coffee shop. Which I will try out, for fun and just in case my favorite coffee shop doesnโ€™t have wifi (e.g. Wash DC on the weekends, many coffee shops turn off their internets).

But most of the time I wonโ€™t have the luxury to load my db freshly before leaving for the coffee shop. I might get internet every few days (e.g. in Cuba), or I might have to reboot my machine - browser window lost.

Hope that information helps you design your solution.

Back to the original question โ€” where are you with the offline work idea at this point, Aug 2017?

thanks - Alistair Cockburn

David_Krizan
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

The ability to access forms and enter data via forms offline would be very useful, particularly for capturing notes or research in the field.

Rolando_Guerrie
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

i second you post completely !!

Michael_Johnsto
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Quick 2 cents: offline use would probably switch me from google sheets. Use sheets right now to organize my thoughts. 1 user. Sometimes 2 devices tho. Could also help me replace booking management software at my hotel in ethiopia.

Personally, Iโ€™d put up with brutal syncing problems as long as I was informed.

Subways, airplanes, and developing countries.

Sunshine_Best
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I second (or 3rd, 4th) this :slightly_smiling_face:
Iโ€™m using AirTable for research between countries and offline use would be useful for a quick search, referencing data and previously uploaded images. At the moment, I use my devices to snap photos and upload them later, but it would definitely be nice to upload directly so it will upload later once back online. I use AirTable through my mobile devices most often but feel without the ability to work offline inhibits full usage and potential.

Keegan_Walls

Yes Please. This feature would be so helpful for us

John_Ukos
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have been lurking and trying airtable for over a year now but untill there is offline available its a deal breaker.

Rolando_Guerrie
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@Airtable_Team no news on offline mode yet ?
Is there any chance this feature will see the light of day eventually ?
That would really be awesome !
Thank you so much.

R.

Anthony_Ray
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

How would you want to use Airtable offline? Tell us your story. Are you a world traveler, wanting to find a way to look at your elaborately designed base of sightseeing spots without having to pay exorbitant roaming charges? Are you a construction baron, sending out remote workers to to survey your newly acquired plots of land? Are you a deep sea diver on a solo expedition in the Marianas Trench, logging undiscovered species of hagfish on the ocean floor? Do you just have really terrible WiFi in the boiler room under the stairs, where the boss moved your office?
Corporate manager for a large healthcare organization โ€“ I would use it for sensitive information such as privileged legal guidance and sensitive patient information that can not be stored outside of our network.

Do you use Airtable alone, or with collaborators? (Resolving merge conflicts when someone is the sole collaborator on a database is far simpler than doing so when you have multiple collaborators, some of whom are online and some of whom are offline, and all of whom are editing different things.)
Alone.

How much do you need to be able to do in Airtable while offline? Do you just need a read-only version of the contents of your bases that you can access while offline? Or do you need to have the ability to edit the contents of records while offline? Or do you need to have the ability to change the database schemata while offline? (In order, these are: comparatively simple to implement; difficult to implement; incredibly difficult to implement.)
I need data stored offline entirely. The scheme, config, settings, etc. are OK online.

For how long do you need to be able to use Airtable offline? For a few minutes, as you drive through a tunnel? (Please donโ€™t Airtable and drive.) For a few hours, as you sit in an airport terminal and refuse to pay for overpriced WiFi? For a few weeks, as you trek through the farthest reaches of frigid Nunavut?
~100% of the time I am entering or accessing information

How tolerant would you be of having to resolve merge conflicts manually? One potential way of alleviating the issues that arise with resolving merge conflicts is to force end users to make decisions on how to solve specific conflicts. This, however, comes with its own set of potential problems (e.g. being stalled by having to resolve a merge conflict when all you want to do is work, your co-workers getting mad that you merged over their data without their permission).
Iโ€™d say entirely tolerant, though Iโ€™d ideally implement controls to minimize

Would you primarily be using offline mode on desktop or mobile? Anecdotally, it seems like many of the people who want offline mode want it for mobile, but it would be good for us to get some clarification on that front.
Desktop