Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

FR: Offline mode

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Evan_Smith
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This would show the last known table schema and data that was shown, but would allow to make records and sync when the mobile device comes back online. Issues would be resolved via the web to validate issues.

224 Comments
Ashley_Brammer
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m a single user working in rural Scotland. All I want is to be able to add and update entries when on the go, such as visiting my customers. Mobile coverage is patchy in Scotland and the last thing I need is to write things down, then have to transcribe them back at base.
A single user offline version would be useful, I don’t have any use for cloud functionality or collaboration. Even if I did conflict resolution could only be very occasional and much less effort than double entries.

Matthieu_Le_Bla
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Not being able to have the offline mode is the only thing which keeps me from purchasing the feature. With offline mode (like google docs to solde conflicts), then airtable would definitively be THE best database available on the market.

Chuck_Haskins

I have been experimenting with Airtable as a simple CRM solution and I like the performance and ease of use. I cannot use it it without an offline mode. I agree with most that read only option would work for me as a individual use only but I do understand the complexity for collaborators. I will have to cease use and it is unfortunate for such a great product.

Nathan_Sutton
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Offline mode on mobile is of vital importance to the app. Doesn’t make sense without it.

Sam_Gray

How would you want to use Airtable offline?
I use airtable to organize pretty much everything at work (dog grooming salon)

Do you use Airtable alone, or with collaborators?
Alone for now

How much do you need to be able to do in Airtable while offline?
I’d like to create and edit records, ideally adding documents (photos) as well.

For how long do you need to be able to use Airtable offline?
I’m in a fairly remote location - if the Internet goes down, I’d need to be able to access it all day at work, before finding somewhere I could sync in the evening.

How tolerant would you be of having to resolve merge conflicts manually?
Very tolerant

Would you primarily be using offline mode on desktop or mobile?
Probably desktop

Sam_Gray

Airtable - please can you update us as to where you are with development

liz_tomlin
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yes please, especially important if you are in a region with poor or slow connectivity!

Gambagirl
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m a freelance musician and use Airtable for oh so many uses: besides fun things like tracking travel and reading lists, I have several bases for my professional work. I have a Music Library database, a teaching repertoire base and an ensemble coaching base where I track the repertoire and schedules for the multiple ensembles I run. I keep running into the lack of offline access as a major stumbling block.

How would you want to use Airtable offline? Tell us your story. Are you a world traveler, wanting to find a way to look at your elaborately designed base of sightseeing spots without having to pay exorbitant roaming charges? Are you a construction baron, sending out remote workers to to survey your newly acquired plots of land? Are you a deep sea diver on a solo expedition in the Marianas Trench, logging undiscovered species of hagfish on the ocean floor? Do you just have really terrible WiFi in the boiler room under the stairs, where the boss moved your office?

I have a teaching studio with no internet (and I want to keep it that way) so entering music into the library base means schlepping scores from my studio to home. I also teach all around Europe in different venues, very often without internet. It is a huge pain to make sure I sync my music to my ipad before going out to teach, especially as Airtable doesn’t always play nicely with my music apps.

Do you use Airtable alone, or with collaborators? (Resolving merge conflicts when someone is the sole collaborator on a database is far simpler than doing so when you have multiple collaborators, some of whom are online and some of whom are offline, and all of whom are editing different things.)

I am the only editor for my bases. If I share them with students, it is read-only.

How much do you need to be able to do in Airtable while offline? Do you just need a read-only version of the contents of your bases that you can access while offline? Or do you need to have the ability to edit the contents of records while offline? Or do you need to have the ability to change the database schemata while offline? (In order, these are: comparatively simple to implement; difficult to implement; incredibly difficult to implement.)

Need to read for sure, would like to edit contents (i.e. enter new records). Do not need to change database schemata as these are quite static.

For how long do you need to be able to use Airtable offline? For a few minutes, as you drive through a tunnel? (Please don’t Airtable and drive.) For a few hours, as you sit in an airport terminal and refuse to pay for overpriced WiFi? For a few weeks, as you trek through the farthest reaches of frigid Nunavut?

For several hours a day.

How tolerant would you be of having to resolve merge conflicts manually? One potential way of alleviating the issues that arise with resolving merge conflicts is to force end users to make decisions on how to solve specific conflicts. This, however, comes with its own set of potential problems (e.g. being stalled by having to resolve a merge conflict when all you want to do is work, your co-workers getting mad that you merged over their data without their permission).

No problem, this would rarely cause an issue.

Would you primarily be using offline mode on desktop or mobile? Anecdotally, it seems like many of the people who want offline mode want it for mobile, but it would be good for us to get some clarification on that front.

Mobile only.

Thanks for keeping us posted with how this is going!

NagDal
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

It’s been over a year since this thread has started. I’ve recently became an airtable enthusiast . Then heard a huge record scratch when i realized there’s no offline mode.

I was using airtable to plan over the seas shoot. This is a huge drawback and disappointment.

Is there at least an option to export bases to a pdf?

Colin_Robertson
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Count me amongst those that want offline access and not having it is a deal breaker. I still use Airtable but can’t use it as much as I’d like to or confidently roll it out in my business without offline support.

To answer your questions:

• I would use it offline all the time. Right now I’m traveling and can’t continue using Airtable as an over-powered gift tracker for the upcoming holidays. Moreover, I would like to use in in my construction business to track and log job site info, punch lists, etc… We don’t always have great coverage, and nothing is more frustrating than losing data I put into Airtable because I didn’t have a consistent connection while adding info. It also puts a huge strain on my phone’s battery, especially when trying to add a couple of photos to my database.
  • I mostly use Airtable alone, but would probably use it with others if it could be implemented when we’re offline.
  • It would more likely be used for looking up information stored in Airtable and maybe adding records, not so much back and fourth collaboration.
  • I would expect to be able to use Airtable offline for a few hours at a time, like on a flight or job walk with no data access.
  • Merging conflicts manually (with a dialog box) would be fine and give me the confidence that my bases are getting the right info and not worry that the computer is screwing things up in the background.
  • Offline would by far be used with the iOS apps, but it would be nice to know I could use it on a laptop offline.

Thanks for listening.