Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

FR: Offline mode

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Evan_Smith
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This would show the last known table schema and data that was shown, but would allow to make records and sync when the mobile device comes back online. Issues would be resolved via the web to validate issues.

224 Comments
Shubha_Bala
  1. How would you want to use Airtable offline?

We are working with the city government on a program that will do audits of low-income housing, by the residents, so that they can get their needs met more efficiently. These surveys will include things like whether the lights are functioning in hallways, etc, and monitor how quickly they get fixed. Many of these apartment complexes have poor cell phone reception so itโ€™s essential that our platform allows offline use.

1. Do you use Airtable alone, or with collaborators?

With collaborators - although in this particular use case we arenโ€™t talking about editing the table, simply inputting data into a form.

1. How much do you need to be able to do in Airtable while offline?

Entering data into a form view, and saving it.

1. For how long do you need to be able to use Airtable offline?

A couple hours, at most.

1. How tolerant would you be of having to resolve merge conflicts manually?

Probably fine although I doubt in our use-case there would be conflicts.

1. Would you primarily be using offline mode on desktop or mobile?

Mobile.

Theresa_Clark
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is online mode in development? Folks have been eager to see this feature for over one year now. The lack of this feature completely prevents me from using the app, but it is the best database app I have found for iphone. When can we expect the update?

Ron_Venegas
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I hate to sound cynical here but could it be the problem is not strictly technical but one of conflict with the present business model? An offline mode essentially turns Airtable into a stand alone app? For single users all that is required is sync functionality between devices. This of course would elimate the need for subscription service which has been the trend for a few years. I would pay a reasonable price for stand alone apps for all my devices. I believe this would be a very useful and popular option and convert many of the free users like me into paying customers. Airtable is hands down best in class but upgrading is not so attractive without stand alone functionality.

M_Auto
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Completely agree. The lack of this feature prevents any possibility of using this excellent databaseโ€ฆ bye

The thing that most worries me is the lack of response by Airtable to the requests of so many usersโ€ฆ for over a year. And mostly when it is something found in other productsโ€ฆ

Martin
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Love this app, event thought about upgrading. But a missing offline mode in 2018 because the development might be too difficult? This is poor. This might be a feature for non-collab tables at first? Even the crappy Synology DS Note app caches notes offline by default. But thereโ€™s always an alternative for almost every service. Even for Airtable.

Rolando_Guerrie
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@Airtable_Team did you give up on the offline feature ?

Chris_W
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Add me to the list of users that consider this critical. I constructed a detailed base of sights I want to see during an overseas trip. One field is a checkbox to indicate we went there so I can keep track of places left. Previously we would have used a simple checklist (which pales in comparison to Airtable) in Google Keep for this. It was only after I was done that I wondered what offline access is like. Having read-only access while you sort out a solution would be understandable but having NO access to our data when offline is a deal-breaker for me. Iโ€™m going to have to go back to using Google Keep for this (which allows offline access for shared notes I might add).

TheKrizizzy

How would you want to use Airtable offline?
Read only copy of the database is good enough.

Do you use Airtable alone, or with collaborators?
My band uses airtable to keep sheet music and set lists.
So number of people need read only access to the database during a gig.
No editing needed

How much do you need to be able to do in Airtable while offline?
Read only.

For how long do you need to be able to use Airtable offline?
Couple hours.

How tolerant would you be of having to resolve merge conflicts manually?
No problem.

Would you primarily be using offline mode on desktop or mobile?
Mobile.

Patrick_Menard

Updating content/status of records

Mostly alone, but possibly some bases with a few collaborators.

create, edit and delete records, but not change table structure or relationships

Manual resolution would be fine.

primarily mobile

I would be fine with a feature where you could โ€œlock table for offline accessโ€ and the structure couldnโ€™t be changed until the table was manually unlocked to provide one more layer of protection against conflicts. Most of the structure design I do is at the start of a base (probably 90-95%), so structure changes after itโ€™s in โ€œproductionโ€ are less common.

Nathan_Shubert-

Update and view bases offline, sync changes when connection becomes available again.

Alone

Iโ€™d expect to be able perform all tasks offline, and sync changes once Iโ€™m online again.

Absolutely fine with me!

Desktop primarily, likely in travel situations like airplanes.