Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

FR: Offline mode

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Evan_Smith
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This would show the last known table schema and data that was shown, but would allow to make records and sync when the mobile device comes back online. Issues would be resolved via the web to validate issues.

224 Comments
Shawn_Baker

Agreed! I certainly won’t pay for Airtable (or implement it with any of my clients) until they come up with some sort of offline usage (at least a read-only solution!)

Robb_Hendrick
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer
  • How would you want to use Airtable offline? I visit clients in rural areas where cellular data is not always available. I use Airtable to store client information as well as document notes from visits.
  • Do you use Airtable alone, or with collaborators? Alone
  • How much do you need to be able to do in Airtable while offline? Read and write. But I will not need to add or remove columns or alter the table at all. Simply just add data to the existing fields. However, adding a row may be needed in offline mode.
  • For how long do you need to be able to use Airtable offline? For about an hour.
  • How tolerant would you be of having to resolve merge conflicts manually? Since I use this myself, I would be very tolerant.
  • Would you primarily be using offline mode on desktop or mobile? Primarily, mobile.
Daniel_Willen
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

How would you want to use Airtable offline?
I value the data and privacy of my customers and clients. Due to GDRP it’s hard for someone in europe to enter an agreement with you after reading your ToS.

Do you use Airtable alone, or with collaborators?
With collaborators.

How much do you need to be able to do in Airtable while offline?
If it could work with a database engine it would be one of the best front-end software that you can use selfhosted.

How tolerant would you be of having to resolve merge conflicts manually?
Wouldn’t have this problem.

Would you primarily be using offline mode on desktop or mobile?
Desktop.

Brittany_Taylor
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

How would you want to use Airtable offline? I’m a freelance writer and entrepreneur. My primary interest in an offline mode is being able to access information. I use Airtable as a super-powered calendar, and I’d like to be able to see what my schedule is without needed internet/data. It would be nice to be able to work in my bases while offline, but I understand that comes with difficulties.

Do you use Airtable alone, or with collaborators? I use some of my bases with collaborators and some alone.

How much do you need to be able to do in Airtable while offline? Primary: viewing existing records. Secondary: creating new records.

How tolerant would you be of having to resolve merge conflicts manually? Very tolerant.

Would you primarily be using offline mode on desktop or mobile? Both. I’d be OK with more limited features on mobile.

Elidad_Zerach
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

How would you want to use Airtable offline? I am very interested in using Airtable to create a custom CRM system, book appointments and to manage various related projects. I am on the road continually and a “read only” option would NOT work for me.
Do you use Airtable alone, or with collaborators? Alone ( for now)
I would need to search and update data; create data and new bases without internet. And I would be lost without the ability to change my calander.

How tolerant would you be of having to resolve merge conflicts manually? Very tolerant.

Would you primarily be using offline mode on desktop or mobile? Laptop & desktop - no phone

Joshua_Soule
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I am still using another cloud database product solely because of the lack of offline mode in Airtable, even though I enjoy Airtable’s interface more.

When a user loses connectivity maybe they could get a notification stating they have two options; 1) the database will close and be unavailable until a connection is available, or 2) editing of the database structure and deleting records will be unavailable and will enter data-entry only mode. This would allow all users to continue adding and editing data, without corrupting the database.

Irith_Williams
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Needing to take copious notes ‘in the wild’ is a core requirement for me, ‘offline’ functionality is the first thing I have looked for, above anything else.

Lisa_Shephard
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

totally agree! i need to use this offline as also at many sites offline and need to access the data

Klee_4D
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yes, I agree. Starting wo migrate my work to other solutions because cannot work offline. Just got back from the Catskills mountains to do a job for client with no cell coverage or WiFi and AirTable is dead in the water.

Brian_Frank
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

We would also like to have some sort of offline access, and it’s becoming increasingly clear that offline is going to be core to our business solution. As of now, we have some teams opting out of the content planning system we’ve created because Airtable is not as reliably available as Google Docs. Regarding Katherine’s questions:

How would you want to use Airtable offline?
We have been using Airtable to plan and track content across our newsroom for about a year now, and it works for most of our teams. However, the load times are becoming increasingly frustrating, and the complete lack of availability when we have internet or Wi-Fi issues, or when Airtable’s out, is concerning. It’s only a nuisance for most teams, because not being able to see what you’re planning to publish in an hour is not going to break you if you only have to wait a few minutes to regain access. However, for at least one of our broadcast teams, success comes down to the minute. When they’re getting ready to print information for an on-air host, and Airtable isn’t accessible, and they can’t even see a cached version of the calendar or rundown, it would jeopardize the show. Simply put, Airtable isn’t working for real-time planning needs.

Do you use Airtable alone, or with collaborators?
40 collaborators

I see offline mode as a contingency plan. We likely wouldn’t do much editing/creating offline. But if we lose internet access or Airtable’s servers become unavailable, we need to be able to AT LEAST see the most recent state of our data. As is, we simply can’t rely on Airtable to have the information we need when we need it. It’s too great a business risk for some of our teams.

For how long do you need to be able to use Airtable offline?
Unknown, but the shortest possible time. As long as Airtable’s servers are down or our internet is unavailable. This may not happen often, but it would have a devastating impact on a live show.

How tolerant would you be of having to resolve merge conflicts manually?
Very tolerant. From our standpoint it’s more about having a backup plan. Currently, there IS no backup plan. I understand from the CEO’s explanation how difficult the implementation might be, but while Airtable is researching the best technological solutions to sync issues, it continues to ignore what may be an even more glaring problem of resiliency: data needs to be available at all times, even if it means creating conflicts. It seems antithetical to the very notion of a database to make data unavailable.

Would you primarily be using offline mode on desktop or mobile?
Desktop.