Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

FR: Offline mode

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Evan_Smith
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This would show the last known table schema and data that was shown, but would allow to make records and sync when the mobile device comes back online. Issues would be resolved via the web to validate issues.

224 Comments
Shawn_Baker

Several years later and still no solution. Today I bumped up against the limitations of the free version of Airtable (too many records). I can either pay for Airtable (and suffer not having an offline version) or I can find a different solution. Which solution do you think Iโ€™ll choose? (Hint: Iโ€™m not giving my money to a company that ignores the #1 request from customers on this suggestion board.)

Wesley_Flach
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

For a thread that started with โ€œWe hear youโ€ the length of radio silence from @Airtable is stunning.

Please update us on the availability of this feature in the near future.

Very unprofessionalโ€ฆ

Brenner_Spear
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Continuously check this page because I would really like to use airtable for our burning man campโ€™s planning but we need offline modeโ€ฆ

Greg_Bartel
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I did not realize when I signed up for the Pro version that there was no offline mode. With that being the case I will be cancelling my membership as the program is useless to me.

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

I understand that there are huge difficulties in being able to provide an offline solution, and I am not surprised that there isnโ€™t one yet. However, I would like to add my voice to those asking for some offline capabilities.

How would you want to use Airtable offline?

I recently built a database for an organization and had to use a different program (Microsoft Access). One of the main reasons was the requirement for offline usage. The database is used to manage a warehouse of items. There is no wifi in the warehouse and cellular reception is very spotty.

Do you use Airtable alone, or with collaborators?

I typically use Airtable either alone or with 1-3 collaborators.

The non-Airtable database solutions that I have created have a similar number of collaborators/users.

In most cases, I am the only person to make changes to the schema of the database. (By schema, I mean table and field definitions, not views. Other people make and change their own views at will.) When people want a change in the schema, they usually ask me to implement it. Occasionally I have a collaborator that also makes minor changes to a schema, such as adding a new field.

For how long do you need to be able to use Airtable offline?

In the warehouse situation above, there is wifi within a short walk of the warehouse. Most tasks in the warehouse can also be completed within a few hours. So, offline usage could be limited to a few hours.

It would also be nice to be able to use Airtable offline during long commutes when in a car-pool/van-pool or when using public transit. Commutes of an hour or more are common where I live.

How much do you need to be able to do in Airtable while offline?

At a minimum, I would like to be able to cache all the records in the current view of all the tables and continue to view that data when offline. I would like to be able to switch views for that data, with the understanding that views with different filters might not show all the data. I would be willing to have limits on the number of records that can be cached per view and limits on caching attachments.

The next increment that I would like is the ability to add new records to the current view of each table. Linking to other records could be limited to cached records (in the same or other tables), including new records created when offline. I would also like the ability to edit those new records. There should be minimal conflicts to resolve, other than new links to records that were deleted or edited by other collaborators when offline. The use case for this scenario is going into the warehouse and entering new records for new inventory or new tasks to be done. I am okay with having to manually lock the schema of a database in order to get this functionality.

The next increment that I would like is the ability to manually lock the records in a view for editing. Other people would be able to view those records, with some sort of โ€œlockโ€ icon but not change them until I release the lock. The use case would be selecting a set of tasks to do in the warehouse, going into the warehouse and updating the status of those tasks as they are done, then returning to wifi, syncing the results, and unlocking the records.

I am fairly certain that I would never need to change the schema of a database while offline. (There will be times when I will want to change a schema offline, but I wonโ€™t need to.)

How tolerant would you be of having to resolve merge conflicts manually?

Iโ€™m going to dissent with the prevailing opinion here. I understand that having to resolve merge conflicts manually is a necessary evil, but I detest having to manually resolve merge conflicts. I design my work flows to avoid the situation. If there is a high probability of having to manually resolve merge conflicts, Iโ€™ll consider delaying the work until the chance of a conflict is over. Iโ€™m guessing that most who say they are okay with manually resolving merge conflicts have never had to untangle a long list of tangled GitHub conflicts.

Would you primarily be using offline mode on desktop or mobile?

Whichever gets the functionality first!

Roman_Repic
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

How would you want to use Airtable offline?
I will change only one table in one base. So really basic stuff.

Do you use Airtable alone, or with collaborators?
I plan to use it with only two collaborators and data that they will insert in the table has nothing to do with my inserts. Yes one cell in the row is multiple select but. I plan to insert most of the inserts at the beginning of using the table so the number of conflicts will be minimum.

How much do you need to be able to do in Airtable while offline?
A couple of hours at the most. I wonโ€™t make any edits to the entries that they were inserted before I went offline.

Would you primarily be using offline mode on a desktop or mobile?
I would use Airtable offline 100% of the offline time on the android based device. Tablet or phone. I didnโ€™t decide yet.

My idea of how to solve this problem is. When Airtable is offline in the right up corner should be a clock that will countdown time. And time should be 6-8 hours.
Or maybe the offline mode should be only for teams of 5 people max. Or Airtable could detect that one user has got offline and should lock down that table or make it for viewing only. Edit and insert should be disabled.

Heck, I am willing to pay for this feature 15$ per month. Just make it work. :slightly_smiling_face:

Pascal_LEFEVRE
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Many, many comments from usersโ€ฆ no answers or comments from Airtableโ€ฆ

Nathan_Shubert-

I wonder if thereโ€™s an architectural problem preventing this :confused:

Ricky_Panzer
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 to offline access!

Jenni_J
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I worry tremendously about putting all my data into something which I canโ€™t access offline. I love the look of Airtable but frankly, this is a real dealbreaker. For single users, I donโ€™t see why there canโ€™t be a desktop app, just like any other app Iโ€™ve used in the past. There are plenty of great examples of these around.