Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Get tables organized by groups in a base

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Malderisio
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer
What is the proposed idea/solution?

I propose to add a way to organize tables by groups as MS Access does.

Currently tables in a base are organized by tabs in a row on the top. I understand that this would be against the Excel-like feeling, where the workbook is organized in sheets, which are actually tabs. But I think MS Access way to organize the tables in groups is much better.

This feature would get bases much more organized. For example I would create the following organization for my tables:

1) Entities groups. In each of these groups, I would put just the entities which I am dealing with to model my universe (for example, Student, Tuition for a school or Order, item for a procurement etc.)

2) Lookup Tables. All lookups that cannot be implemented with a single field dropdown list. For example a ROLE table which requires a field like Title, but also a description and maybe other fields like Hourly Rate etc.

3) Many-to-Many associations Tables. For all associations that need to be materialized, because you need to record information for each association. For example, when you assign a parking to a car. The association table is the place where to store the arrival date/time and departure.

Table types 2 and 3 are quickly proliferating and pollute the data model led by the tables that deal with pure entities.

How does is solve the user problems?

I would suggest to implement it as a toggle to the interface, so that the users could switch between the two layouts as they wish. Excel-like (tabs in a row) or Access-like (groups of tabs in a side column). 

How was this validated?

MS Access actually adopts this way to organize multiple tables.

Who is the target audience?

Airtable users who works directly with tables and base designer.