Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Guest collaborators in Pro Workspace

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mathias_Elmose
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi

It would really nice to be able to invite guest collaborators for bases that you didn’t need to pay for. I like the Slack model where every member has 5 free guests to add in one channel.

Maybe you could do the same so that every paying workspace collaborator has 5 guests to invite. The guest could only have access to one base and if gain access to more than one they would be billed for.

Rigth now when you have to collaborate with people outside your team you have to move a base to a free workspace. And can understand why Airtable choose to do this but maybe guest access could be a way in between.

5 Comments
Elias_Gomez_Sai
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

Just to mention, you also can add Free users to Paid workspace bases, as long you give them read-only (or commenter I think) permission.

Mathias_Elmose
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi @Elias_Gomez_Sainz

Yes I think it’s only the read-only but not the comment that you can add for free.

And I can understand why you have to pay but say you have a workspace with 50 bases and 20 collaborators. If one base then has 5 extra people you end up paying for 25 collaborators for the whole workspace. If you scale this up a team of 20 people could easily pay a lot more money than just for them selves.

That’s why I think the Slack model with 5 guest pr paying workspace collaborator would make sense.

HammerOz
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I don’t use Airtable for my business because of this fact alone. So many people do not work in teams and instead are collaborating with guests or clients and read only isn’t good enough. Anyway there are many alternative tools now that recognise how freelancers and consultants operate.

Matt_Stevenson
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have to agree that this held me back from upgrading to Pro for at least 5 years. I finally upgraded to Pro recently, but still have to move bases to a free workspace like mentioned. This is INSANE that Airtable doesn’t address the Consultant/Agency business model in their pricing scheme. We’ll pay for more people within our internal team, but grudgingly struggle working with outside clients to gather content.

A FORM DOES NOT CUT IT especially when you need multiple external stakeholders to update a small piece of data. That’s somewhat ok for new records, but working with existing records is nearly impossible.

Currently I have to export Airtable to a Google Sheet, request input, and then reimport back. But this means I can’t have collaborators work with linked records, etc.

Matt_Stevenson

Wow, so I guess frustration is a powerful motivator lol. I just discovered Stacker which exactly solves this problem for me. I’m able to pay Airtable for my collaborators within Airtable. And Stacker gives me UNLIMITED users to be able to edit records with granular permissions and conditional fields.

Airtable should consider acquiring Stacker and making this part of their pro plans. Can’t believe I’ve finally discovered this solution after all these years. Wish it were cheaper, but man it sure does exactly what you need it to.