Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Hyperlink to File Explorer

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Victoria_Cawtho
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hey!

I use an excel sheet to track my projects and an awesome feature is that I can post a hyperlink to a project folder I have in File Explorer and go directly to the desired folder.

Is there something like that on Airtable? I noticed you can link URL but I havenโ€™t seen anything for file explorer specifically.

Please help!

4 Comments
Andre_Zijlstra
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Hi Victoria,

I did find the location address of a local file (when you go to properties), and I pasted this link to test it. Interesting to see that there is no action to this local link.
I would like this feature as well.

Regards,
Andrรฉ

W_Vann_Hall
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

Because Airtable executes in your browser, you will bump into browser security issues. (By default, modern browsers wonโ€™t let scripted apps access local files.) However, you can find plugins/extensions that enable this on a case-by-case basis for most browsers.

Here is a likely out-of-date response I posted a while back regarding creating such links to a Dropbox share. (To the browser, a file on Dropbox or Google Drive looks the same as a local file.) Iโ€™ve used the Chrome plugin mentioned successfully off and on for a while; however, itโ€™s currently not installed on either of my primary PCs, so I canโ€™t attest to its remaining current.

Most (all?) of the extensions Iโ€™ve tried allow you to create a whitelist of sites where you wish to enable this potentially dangerous security bypass, which lets you limit exposure to a specific Airtable base.

P.S. Donโ€™t bother looking for the rumored Show-and-Tell post. Iโ€™m afraid I bogged down in testing the multitude of possible ways to address Dropbox and Google Drive shares in multiple browsers, and never returned to complete it. Fortunately, saying โ€˜get a pluginโ€™ satisfied 99% of requests.

Tucker_McKenzie
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

My teams are now using the desktop version โ€ฆ and I am trying to get the same functionality (select a link to access the project folder). Is there a way to enable this? Sorry to reply such an old thread, but this is exactly what I was looking to do. I would prefer to keep using the desktop app if possible.

Thanks

W_Vann_Hall
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

AFAIK, you can only achieve this by installing a browser plugin as described in this undoubtedly outdated response. (Every now and then I dig up an updated plugin and install it to make sure the instructions are still roughly accurate, but I havenโ€™t tried in at least 9 months.) Iโ€™d look for one with a strong whitelist capability and go from thereโ€ฆ