Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Introduction of a "Location" Field with Address Autocomplete Functionality

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Kent_Tompkins
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast
What is the proposed idea/solution?

I propose the introduction of a new field type named "Location." This field would be specifically designed to handle address inputs more efficiently and accurately in tables and more specifically form fields. The key feature of this field would be its integration with an address autocomplete service, like Google Places API, to assist users in entering correct and standardized addresses.

How does is solve the user problems?
  1. Enhanced Data Accuracy: Autocomplete would reduce the likelihood of errors and inconsistencies in address data entry, ensuring higher data quality.

2. Improved User Experience: Users would find it easier and faster to input addresses, enhancing the overall usability of forms and databases.

3. Streamlined Data Collection: For applications like CRM, event management, and logistics, where address data is crucial, this feature would streamline data collection and processing.

4. Global Address Coverage: Leveraging a service like Google Places would provide access to a comprehensive and updated global address database.

How was this validated?

In our specific scenario, we receive engineering service requests from customers and clients through our website. A critical component of efficiently processing these requests is obtaining accurate location addresses. Currently, we find that only about 50% of the addresses submitted are correct. This inefficiency hampers our workflow, as we frequently need to allocate additional time and resources to verify and complete partial or incorrect addresses. Common issues we encounter include misspelled street names, inaccurate street suffixes (such as St., Ln., Dr., Ave.), and missing or erroneous zip codes.

Who is the target audience?

This feature would be immensely beneficial to any user who relies on storing and utilizing location addresses within Airtable. Given the platform's extensive user base, it's reasonable to assume that this encompasses a significant number of individuals and organizations.

2 Comments
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yes, that would be an awesome feature addition!

In the meantime, there are 2 great workarounds for doing this, both of which involve external apps:

Both JotForm and Fillout offer address autocomplete on their forms, and Filloutโ€™s forms can even be used to update Airtable records in real-time:

JorForm - autocomplete addresses

Fillout - address field

For JotForm, you will need to use Makeโ€™s JotForm integrations to get the submitted data added or updated in Airtable.

Maria_Gabriela_
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi!

I came to the forum to post this exact idea. I think there are a huge amount of scenarios where being able to have a "location" field would be very handy (i.e. event planning, logistics, project database, directories of people or companies, favourite restaurants ๐Ÿ˜‰ ...).

I would add that this field type would be complete with a map view! Just as we have a calendar view for the date field, a map view would greatly improve the visualisation of any set of "locations", again, for logistic purposes. Imagine a map where you can see places by colours according to some other parameter, for example, and being able to filter them and work from within this view.