Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Line breaks in formulas

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matt_Sayward
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

I’m using Airtable to plan some PPC campaigns. I have a formula concatenating a bunch of different keyword sets, which reference the product name from an earlier field in the record.

Google AdWords prefers to have each keyword set on a new line.

Is there any way I can produce a line break in the formula output so that each can be pasted straight in?

19 Comments
Zac
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Any news about this?

Bruno_Carvalho
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Matt, if you put “\n” in the formula it will work. Since the Formula field is just a one line field, you have to copy the whole cell (without clicking on it).

John
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Bruno, can you show an example of the \n in use please?

Zac
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

\n works. Add it to a formula, and when you copy/paste the results outside of airtable, the line break will be apparent.

Example:
“first line \n second line \n\n fourth line”

Please note - the line breaks are invisible in airtable, unless used in the primary cell.

Tim_Dietrich
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Here’s an example of the “\n” line break technique.

In this example, the table is being used to store contact info (name, address, etc). A “full address” formula column might be configured with this formula:

Full_Name & "\n" & Street & "\n" & City & ", " & State & " " & Zip

Copying and pasting a cell from that column would result in something like this:

Jenny Eihrtable
657 Airtable Avenue
Jacksonville, FL 55555

~ Tim

Bruno_Carvalho

Just as Zac and Tim showed. By the way, I think it would be a great implement if we could show the formula field as a multi-line field.

Conrad_Lindes

I have tried the “\n” trick, and it does work to create a line break if I copy the field and paste it into Word. However, the result also contains quotation marks at the beginning and end of the field. How can I get rid of those?

Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

In playing about with “new lines” tonight, \n also doesn’t reflect within Grid Views. I am curious if it’s possible to reflect a new line within the grid view of a formula return?

Gareth_Chapman
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Anyone got an idea on how to avoid the start and end quotations on the pasted multi-line field? It pastes like this:
“12 Appleby Road
Grainborough
Devon
XY5 ABS”

Andy_Lin1
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

That’s the expected behaviour for copying out of a multiline cell, unfortunately. (You’ll also run into the same problem with Google Sheets)
The last time I had this problem I wrote a small browser extension to modify the clipboard contents, but you might have better luck just removing the quotation marks once you’ve pasted it.