Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Link to another record : restrict by already use

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Valentin_GUENIC
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi everyone !
I’m trying to figure out if I can link to another record but with a record’s list without items yet choosen.

Here’s a concrete example : I’m trying to get an inventory of my videogame collection. And I need to create bundles which contain hardware, accessories and games. I create a table for the accessories because I need to have a view of all the accessories. I choose to create a line for each same accessory to get a count (by grouping). Maybe it’s not the right way to achieve that.
But afterall I need to decrease the count of accessories available for bundles, each time it’s used in a bundle. I want to do that to avoid errors because I need to recreate bundles in the physical world (for a tradeshow).

Hope someone understand what I’m trying to achieve.
Thanks for any help !

20 Comments
Alex_Wolfe
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Cool! So getting back to your post:

I think the conditional linked records from that forum link I posted earlier is the way to go. I believe with that functionality you can do something like this:

For example:
If you made a “Playstation” bundle, you would link to Hardware (which you filter to only show those available in your Hardware Linked Record field), then your choices for the Accessories list Linked Record field can be further filtered (based on your choice of Hardware you would have a dynamic View in your My accessories table which gets filtered accordingly) and would only show those available accessories, based on your prior Hardware choice. In all honesty, I have yet to implement this myself, but in reviewing @W_Vann_Hall’s post and his sample base the functionality is all there.

Valentin_GUENIC
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

To be honest, I understand what you mean but can’t figure out how to achieve that with airtable.
I understand the concept and can explain it in a dev way, even if I’m not a developer :winking_face:

Alex_Wolfe
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

No worries, I get it. I would encourage you to read the prior forum link by W_Vann_Hall and then if you still don’t see how to implement it let me know and I can take a crack at it in a sample base or something.

Valentin_GUENIC
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I’ll check it by myself for instance. I want to understand the way to achieve that.
Thanks a lot for your reactivity !

Valentin_GUENIC
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

OK So if I understand the mecanism, the purpose would be to modify dynamically a field in the list of accessories (and games), as I selected an hardware in the bundle table and to have a view based on that.
For now, it remains complicated to me but I saw a dynamic filter field (that should be in the accessories table), filled based on a control field (in the bundle table). And there’s a control table. So maybe I need 2 because I have two tables that should be filtered.
I need to sleep on that :grinning_face_with_big_eyes:

Valentin_GUENIC
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I did it ! And it works (almost) like a charm.
I say almost because I don’t have a category and subcategory system, but rather something like having 3 levels of selection.
I’m a bit annoyed by finding something which could be the trigger for the only entry I’m working on, but in my mind, a bundle should have an hardware, at least an accessory AND a game. I have to do my homework :winking_face:
But it’s nice, rather more difficult than comparing two values like through an SQL query.
Hope this type of mecanism could be simpler in the future.

Alex_Wolfe
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Congrats! Hopefully it makes life easier for your process.

Fernando_santin
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

So I am Doing this and for some reason its not working as i think it should.
I have to Linked Tables Compras and Provedores

in my table Provedores

I Change the link to resticted view on Compras Field to a view called ordenar 2 (or any view for that Matter)

And Field Compras donst change eventhou ordenar 2 has many filter, even if i change the filters Filed Compras in Porvedores dosnt change

I am almost certain that this feature is degin to do something like this i just cant get it to work

what am i doing wrong

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

As I indicated in my reply in this other thread, I think you’re misunderstanding how this feature is designed to operate. It’s not designed to change your existing links when a view in a linked table changes. It’s only designed to limit the records you see when adding new links.

Fernando_santin
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I appricate the time you took to answer on serval threads, thank you