Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Support outlining in Grid view for parent/child link within a table

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David_Isaac
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

As a business consultant, I would like to display parent/child relationships within a table as an indented outline within a grid view so that I can decompose items like organizational goals and project tasks and clearly show the hierarchical relationship. This would allow me to use Airtable instead of other specialized software that supports sub-items (e.g., subtasks, subgoals, etc.). All my items have the same columns, including a “parent”, but the current views (such as grouping by “parent”) do not suffice. No special rollup capability is needed within the hierarchy.

Example:
Title Priority Parent
My first item High
L A subitem Medium My first item
L A subsubitem High A subitem

1 Comment
Jonathan_Culley
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have a similar need. I am trying to create a budget where all the accounts are in the main table (grid view), but some of them are subaccounts of other accounts, and other are sub-sub-accounts. All the parent/child relationships are between records in the same table. How do I display the data where the sub accounts are intended under their parent records and can roll up (including a calculated sum field) For example, 

100 Personnel Costs

110 Salary & Wages

120 Healthcare

200 Facilities

210 Rent

220 Maintenance

230 Exterior

231 Grounds

232 Signage

etc....

I tried the List view type, but that requires a relationship between records in two different tables.