Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Link to other base

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_Bacino
5 - Automation Enthusiast

So happy that someone finally filled the void left by Dabble DB.

One of the features I found most useful there, but can’t seem to do in Airtable, is linking to entries in another Base. Often, one will have multiple bases which handle distinct aspects of a business or project, but in which one piece of data overlaps.

Example: A political campaign may want Bases for contacting voters, managing events, and recording donations. Those are distinct domains which need their own Bases, but which could benefit from linking parts of them together. For example, it would be great to link donations to the event they occurred at, or voters to donations, or record who attended each event.

In Airtable at present one has to either cram all of those bases into one, or foregoe the linkage which makes this software so great. It may seem like a small thing, but once you can link bases, the sky is really the limit.

495 Comments
Elias_Gomez_Sai
13 - Mars
13 - Mars
DavidMa
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

+1, this is one of the first things I looked for as a new Airtable user. Overall I find Airtable a truly amazing product, hopefully since it’s been 3 years it’s close to completion just as I’ve signed up :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: .

Sam_Johnson

+1 as well! please let us know if this is planned!

Andres_Gomez

It would be a clever feature

Aristeidis_Zagk
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

hopefully this will come in 2018

Anna_Moers
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Katherine_Duh From reading all the comments left in the past 2 years it definitely seems like linking tables to another base is an extremely in demand feature. I would like to have a master list of clients that will be accessible from each of my bases. The main reason would be that I would not have to copy and paste an updated table into each of my bases every time there is a change.

At this point I’m using 217 records (and growing daily) in each of my bases for client information. I really only need this data in one place and need to be able to link each base to it instead of taking about the amount of space I’m currently using.

Zac
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Anna_Moers, you are correct. This feature is very much needed.
I hope that we can hear from AirTable about their plans.

EMANUEL_CAMACHO
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello,

I recently started using Airtable and I find immense productivity within. That said, There is a glaring set of issues that perhaps, either I do not know how to use a certain function eliminating this problem or it is an essential necessity missing from Airtable.

I am using Airtable to manage all of our books and publication releases for my publishing house.

I have a table that has all of our authors and another which has all of our books.

To use these tables in other bases, such as to devise pre-release information, launches, event marketing, etc. I need to export both of those tables (Authors and Books) into each of the above. Essentially, recreating the same tables numerous times. However. In the new bases where I would naturally use the linked records, I have to use a different column because the initial column will not allow me to link to another record…???

It would be a vast improvement if I could simply link to any record from any of the bases in my workspace. Simply adding “Link to record in a different Base” or even the possibility of linking to a record from a base on a completely different workspace, altogether. And for these pieces of information to properly link and update as the originating tables are updated.

I can do this in Excel. by simply typing = and then clicking on a different document and then the tab and cell I wish to use.

Because here, in airtable, I would have to constantly export and import to update those entries. They don’t seem to update or relationally update as new information is created in one.

For example. I have in my Authors table the author, the name of the book they are working on, which is linked to the book table. I have an initial manuscript deadline, final deadline, and planned publication release date. For various books, this information has not yet been added.

So If I export the book table to a launch calendar base to have it linked so I do not need to recreate the listing of books and their associated pieces of information. I have to export and import it again whenever the original table in the print editorial calendar is up-to-date, as it is a living file that changes constantly.

Essentially, forcing me to erase the existing table in the launch base and setting it up again.

This feels like a huge gap in how this should work.

I simply want to expand my bases for various purposes and want to be able to link to the main source of information that is going to be used relationally in other bases for various other purposes.

Perhaps I’m missing how this is doable in Airtable? Any help would be appreciated.

Brian_Zawislak
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Katherine_Duh I’ve also been patiently waiting for almost 2 years for update on this feature. The work arounds are cumbersome and time consuming. It’s becoming increasing difficult to justify a premium membership without being able to link to multiple bases.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

April_Councelle
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This would be so very helpful!