Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Link to other base

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_Bacino
5 - Automation Enthusiast

So happy that someone finally filled the void left by Dabble DB.

One of the features I found most useful there, but can’t seem to do in Airtable, is linking to entries in another Base. Often, one will have multiple bases which handle distinct aspects of a business or project, but in which one piece of data overlaps.

Example: A political campaign may want Bases for contacting voters, managing events, and recording donations. Those are distinct domains which need their own Bases, but which could benefit from linking parts of them together. For example, it would be great to link donations to the event they occurred at, or voters to donations, or record who attended each event.

In Airtable at present one has to either cram all of those bases into one, or foregoe the linkage which makes this software so great. It may seem like a small thing, but once you can link bases, the sky is really the limit.

495 Comments
LUCA_MANGIONE

Hallo any update on this feature ? this is becoming a block in our development to the point we have to look for other solutions. We have tried using a workaround but the CRM we are using will not work, as we cannot insure privacy and will result in a single huge base with countless tables.

PLS any advise?

Thanks

Luca

LUCA_MANGIONE

Hallo and thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately podio is not what we would need.

We need a database to be able to manage our sourcing and product database while podio is more of a project management tool for teams.

We are creating a database library of products and specifications which would need to be used in many project to create books of specifications and BoQ.

Hence the need for the multi DB connection.

We have used RAGIC which allows to connect different bases and seems to work but is not visually simple as Airtable.

Airtable only misses multi DB connection

Best

Luca

02ee2a37f8858b76edaff1adb236f719bd9cd709.jpeg

Nathalie_Collin
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Hi Luca,

I’d be more than happy to hop on a call to see how you can proceed.

Here’s my self serve scheduling. My Email

Hope to hear from you soon.
Let’s connect on LinkedIn

Aleksander_Pala
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1

This feature is a MUST for agencies. IMHO.

Would gladly pay for a plan only for this feature.

Airtable will be flawless with this kind of upgrade.

c_ni_allen
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I will use Integromat to “cheat” and obtain a similar effect in the mean time, but hope the full feature will appear soon :slightly_smiling_face:

My mind is blown away by Airtable and I consider teaching it as an Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN) in my university lectures, the lack of this feature and a slight tweak on the description and timeline blocks are the only things that make me hesitate!

Bart_Van_Pee
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Need this, keeping me from using Airtable across organisaton. Want to use Airtable for contract management but contracts are usually located in different projects

Doug_Justice
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m going to +1000 this as well. We have many bases for each of our customers who require daily access to their base and thus creating a master one with different filters is not viable for us. What happens is we have to go into each base and try to figure out what each of us needs to do. I’m going to try a few of the workarounds in the meantime, but this is something any company who works with multiple customers would need. Please AirTable, let us know where this is on the feature roadmap.

Kate_Wright

Here is the rub with this. If I share a view with someone who has editor permissions. As in, I would like them to be able to edit certain fields in a table, if they expand the record in the grid view, they can see the hidden fields associated with that record when they expand the hidden fields. We have somewhat sensitive information in those hidden fields, and I don’t want people to see that information.

Jarvis
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Has anyone found any workaround for this, using 3rd party integrations like zapier, etc?

I’m pretty sure this isn’t going to come to Airtable anytime soon (based on their lack of response) so would love to hear of anyone’s found any workarounds in the meantime :slightly_smiling_face:

MC_Carter

@Jarvis a workaround using Zapier to copy records between two bases is described by @Gareth_Pronovost in his YouTube video here https://youtu.be/ZES7gSuypdw. (Thanks @Gareth_Pronovost for such a great YouTube channel — highly recommended one to subscribe to everyone! Lots of helpful Airtable tips!)