Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Link to other base

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_Bacino
5 - Automation Enthusiast

So happy that someone finally filled the void left by Dabble DB.

One of the features I found most useful there, but can’t seem to do in Airtable, is linking to entries in another Base. Often, one will have multiple bases which handle distinct aspects of a business or project, but in which one piece of data overlaps.

Example: A political campaign may want Bases for contacting voters, managing events, and recording donations. Those are distinct domains which need their own Bases, but which could benefit from linking parts of them together. For example, it would be great to link donations to the event they occurred at, or voters to donations, or record who attended each event.

In Airtable at present one has to either cram all of those bases into one, or foregoe the linkage which makes this software so great. It may seem like a small thing, but once you can link bases, the sky is really the limit.

495 Comments
hlcurzio
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

The best alternatives for mobile Airtable with link to another base are Zenkit, Notion and Ninox. Coda, Fibery, Appsheet and knack is not a good alternative because they are not editable by the smartphone. If you need software that can be edited by the computer, the best alternatives are: see Forrester Wave. I recommend Caspio for being unlimited users. But I am still waiting for this feature in Airtable. Every month I return here in the community to see if it has already been implemented.

Thierry_Gattlen
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello Airtable community,
This feature of Airtable being able to have linked field to another base (even on another workspace) is really a missing functionality today.
In my case, I use Airtable for project management in companies.
There is a PMO base to supervise projects, there is a project base with tasks.
Both need a person table to assign projects and tasks.
Unfortunately I have to duplicate persons info in every base. This is also prevent me of making a single project base with standard structure but specialized for on project. Today, the tasks base have 29 table for 29 projects and one person table for assignation. That means also 29+ dashboards with Gantt charts, etc.
Effectively, after 5 years, this feature is still missing.
Thanks for making external link happen.
Regards

Lonneke_van_den
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Please Airtable… Add this functionality!

Emily_Fox
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 Following
Same reason that has already been specified, have multiple bases for different teams and need to pull pieces from each into one base view

Jason
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hi folks! I wanted to share here that we just launched the ability to sync records automatically from one base to another with Airtable Sync. You can learn more about this brand new feature here: Announcing the Airtable Platform.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

And @Justin_Barrett did a stellar intro video to show this.

raghavsethi
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hey folks, now that Airtable Sync is rolled out to all users, we wanted to elaborate a bit on how sync allows you to implement a version of cross-base linking.

It works by allowing you to pull data from a shared view in another base into a ‘Synced Table’ in your own base. You can then link to the record in the synced table to approximate cross-base linking. Having the synced table appear in your base makes it easy for other collaborators in your base to discover tables they can link to. This model also simplifies permissions - on the source view, you can use all the sharing restrictions you’re used to, and on the destination base all your existing base permissions apply.

One of the nice features of foreign key columns is be the ability to quickly pull up the linked record to view additional fields or make changes. The new ‘Open Source Record’ button action is intended to be a workaround for that action.

We’re all really excited to finally share this new feature with you and address one of our oldest requests. We’d like to thank you for continuing to share your feedback and keeping this top of mind for us.

RnJ
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Love the new Airtable Sync. One issue I ran into though was the ability to add linked records from the add linked record popup back to the source base. I understand it probably creates some permission issues but even if you can just input the restricted synced fields it would be perfect.
My current workaround is using the embed app and a form from the source table to add. However that doesn’t help when using the IOS App since don’t have access to the Airtable Apps from there. The IOS has a “create new record” option on the linked record, but when clicked it throws an error.

Brian_Davis

Also, ran into this.

Need sync all related bases, too for going across multiple synced tables.

Also, Lookups still return text without record opening capacity (would love coloring, too so we don’t need multi/single selects when related records are better).

hlcurzio
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Finally! After several years being the top topic of all time. Investors stay tuned; Airtable will have exponential growth from now on. Congratulations to the entire team!!!