Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Lock a record or a field

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Russell_Calkins
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Short of more granular user permissions (by table, not by base), it would be VERY useful to be able to lock certain records… or even certain fields.

We have many, VERY complicated records, that we’d like to use as templates. I want to prevent someone from trying to do their job and accidentally altering the master…

They don’t even have to be permission locked…just a button you have to push to MAKE SURE you want to delete/alter it, before you do.

14 Comments
Guitar_Exchange

YES PLEASE! I was thinking a mode where all records in a Grid View are locked (as an option) and you need to open the record to edit it or choose to go off of safety mode to bulk edit inline in Grid view.

Brittany_Taylor
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This would be a great feature for me. All of my collaborative bases are with clients, and sometimes, they get a little click happy. There are some things they need to be able to do, but I don’t want them messing with the fancy stuff.

Laura_Bartlett
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Agreed. I would really value the ability to lock certain fields by user type.

Andrew_Wingrave
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

100% Agree - This would be amazing

John_Pen
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

It appears that there is no response from AirTable about this. Are they working towards an update?

Andrew_Wingrave
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Here’s a good thread that highlights some of the challenges and thoughts on implementing this type of solution:

Looks like it will come. We just need to be patient. Not ideal, but it’s actually such an overwhelming topic, so it makes sense.

Hope this helps @John_Pen

koh_daniel
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

oh please. this is the only thing keeping our company away from choosing airtable.

we might go with custom erp development just because of the missing indepth permission control.

Owen
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Awesome suggestion - definitely would love this.

Dave_Draftsman

Yes, the ability to create template records, lock them so they’re protected, and can then be copied and reused for real data is absolutely needed.

Josh_Howard
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Locking records is also important for archiving purposes. We need this Airtable!