Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

New Block idea - Form for adding new record

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Nick_Burrus
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I would like to have the Add record form in a block, so people can easily add data while viewing the spreadsheet.

14 Comments
Chad_Hokama
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 on a โ€œFormโ€ Block or more generalized โ€œInput(s)โ€ block that would optionally generate a record. I need this to create various calculators. Our sales team needs to enter variables into a form which generates a value. Currently there is no view in airtable that supports having a form in the same context as its generated record.

Spencer_Maybee
5 - Automation Enthusiast

+1 however I think having the Forms view actually operate as a view instead of a data entry tool would be great. That way a) you could enter data while viewing the context of that data within the record, but also b) you could use the Form view to organize the information in your base and view it contextually (e.g. all info about your client in a simple data card instead of as a row in a spreadsheet).

Jeremy_Oglesby
14 - Jupiter
14 - Jupiter

Doesnโ€™t the โ€œGalleryโ€ view do this? Or is that not what you are talking about?

Spencer_Maybee

Gallery is closest, but to be able to customize the layout (throwing back to early FileMaker Pro/MS Access days) to be able to view in customized order would be the dream here. Thanks for pointing that out!

Jeremy_Oglesby
14 - Jupiter
14 - Jupiter

Like this?
image.jpg

Spencer_Maybee

Itโ€™s close, but optimally has this amount of information (see attached) visible in one screen (i.e. with no scrolling) and can be customized, moving and resizing fields to optimize that visual space.

script-breakdown-sheet.jpg

Spencer_Maybee

Instead of:
FIELD NAME

Field info.

FIELD NAME

Field info.

Etc.

Something like:

FIELD NAME: Field info. FIELD NAME: Field info.

FIELD NAME: Field info. FIELD NAME: Field info.

Jeremy_Oglesby
14 - Jupiter
14 - Jupiter

I see - I gotcha now.

So you want a combination of the โ€œPage Designerโ€ block with a form for data entry.
That sounds like it could be useful!

Spencer_Maybee

Jeremy, you kind of nailed it, though tbh, it looks like the Page Designer block is more what Iโ€™m looking for (though data entry in that view would be handy). I didnโ€™t know much about blocks and certainly hadnโ€™t discovered Page Designer. Iโ€™m not an upgraded user, but Iโ€™d definitely consider upgrading to access this feature if it works the way I think it does.

Thanks for all your responses!!

Jeremy_Oglesby
14 - Jupiter
14 - Jupiter

Sure!

The Page Designer block allows you to design a layout by placing and formatting your โ€œFieldsโ€ onto a page -

example:
You have a โ€œProject Nameโ€ field, a โ€œStart Dateโ€ field, an โ€œEnd Dateโ€ field, and a โ€œPhotoโ€ attachment field.

You can drag โ€œProject Nameโ€ as a field onto the page, place it at the top, change the font/size/weight to make it a page header kind of deal.

Then drag โ€œStart Dateโ€ onto the page underneath the header, format font/size/weight.

Then drag an adhoc โ€œFormatted Textโ€ object onto the page, type a " - " into it, and place it after the โ€œStart Dateโ€ field.

Then drag โ€œEnd Dateโ€ onto the page to the right of the โ€œStart Dateโ€ " - " you have on the page, and format.

Then drag the โ€œPhotoโ€ attachment field onto the page where you want - size it, give it a border, etc.

And end up with something like this (mind, I havenโ€™t gone to the effort to replace those deleted fieldsโ€ฆ):

And once the layout is made you can apply the layout to each record in the table that the block references (ex. โ€œProjectsโ€). You can click through each record using the arrows at the top, or search for a specific record to pull it up.

You can search for a record to view:

And it shows up like this in your blocks section: