Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Number format (##,###,###.##) with comma or other separators

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Mark_Marsiglio1
5 - Automation Enthusiast

For readability it would be nice to be able to present numbers (especially large ones) with separators such as commas. Custom defined number formats would be even better (regex).

62 Comments
Joseph_Leveque

Please Airtable, that is a feature we miss a lot from converting from our Google spreadsheets

Adam_Royal
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Another hand up from me to make this a feature!

William_LeGate
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

PLEASE add thisโ€ฆ why is this not a feature yet? Very disappointing & makes our data hard to read!

Jan_Park
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thanks so much, worked perfectly!

Fjodor

Thanks Josh, for additional thousand separators this workarround is fine. Still not working for folks, who wants to have something like this: 12.549,12 instead of 12,549.12

=> Ninox does all this stuff

Rich_Calligan
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Absolutely shocked that this was not a day-one feature. This is NEEDED!

Iโ€™m glad Iโ€™m finding out how AirTable runs their dev and support during my evaluation. I really donโ€™t think this is going to be a good solution.

Susan_Ferrell
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thank you, Johannes! This was extremely close to what I was looking for. I wanted to improve the appearance of the Market Cap and 24hr Volume in my Crypto Portfolio. I use the CoinMarketCap API to import current values into my table, but the numbers are so huge it is almost impossible to read them. I modified your formula a bit to fit my situation and it worked beautifully. I will leave a reference of my work for the Market Cap field here in case anyone else is looking for a way to abbreviate long financial based numbers.

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 10.42.40 AM

As you can see, the {USD.market_cap} field is a very long number set to the maximum decimal places. I used three separate formula fields to come to my final Market Cap field.
Step 1
Create a new formula type field. Mine is titled โ€œmc_1โ€. Use a formula to reference back to your large number field to remove all places after the decimal. My large number field is titled โ€œUSD.market_capโ€.

ROUND({USD.market_cap},0)

Step 2
Create a second formula type field. Mine is titled โ€œmc_2โ€. This time your formula will create a string from your number in your first reference field.

CONCATENATE(mc_1)

Step 3

Create one last formula field. Mine is titled โ€œMarket Capโ€. This will be the one that tidies up the long string of numbers. It will reference both of the previous fields you just made. Be sure to reference the field from Step 2 for the (LEN) portion of your formula, and to reference the field from Step 1 for the mathematical portion of your formula.

IF(LEN(mc_2)>=10,"$"&ROUND(mc_1/1000000000,1)&" B",IF(LEN(mc_2)>=7,"$"&ROUND(mc_1/1000000,1)&" M",IF(LEN(mc_2)>=4,"$"&ROUND(mc_1/1000,1)&" K","$"&ROUND(mc_1,1))))

Or, if your numbers go into the trillions, go one more stepโ€ฆ

IF(LEN(mc_2)>=13,"$"&ROUND(mc_1/1000000000000,1)&" T",IF(LEN(mc_2)>=10,"$"&ROUND(mc_1/1000000000,1)&" B",IF(LEN(mc_2)>=7,"$"&ROUND(mc_1/1000000,1)&" M",IF(LEN(mc_2)>=4,"$"&ROUND(mc_1/1000,1)&" K","$"&ROUND(mc_1,1)))))

Fabio_R
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1. Other formats like ###.###,00 me too please!

Wyatt_Barnett

Seriously โ€“ really just needed to do a good old fashioned left-padded ID number, being able to format with a specification of โ€œ00000โ€ would have made it work a lot, lot cleaner.

Alex_Whitton
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Coming late to this party - no comma separated numbers for financial reporting? Airtable you are just awesome - but??