Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Petition for the attention of the (wonderful) Airtable Product Team - Please decouple the Add Field and Add Record buttons from a Table ๐Ÿ™

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
andywingrave
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hey there,

I want to first off note that I donโ€™t want this to sound like a complaint. :pray:

I love Airtable, and I have used it now for 3 years across countless large organisations and medium-sized clients. Heart

I use it for everything I do. But there was always one part of the UX that I always saw stressing users out, and that was the way you can just click and accidentally add a brand new record at the bottom without ever meaning to. The process to create a record was so easy it was overwhelming, because to non-experienced, pressing command + z is often not learned, so theyโ€™d see Airtable as a place where it wasnโ€™t safe to click anywhere (A problem later solved, in part for teams, by restricting peopleโ€™s ability to add records in a base, or just using a sync so nobody can create records), and letโ€™s not even talk about creating a record which is part of a filtered view because thatโ€™s just madness squared โ€ฆ But when teaching Airtable, all Iโ€™ve ever heard for 3 years now is a lot of โ€œWhoopsโ€โ€ฆโ€œDidnโ€™t mean to do thatโ€โ€ฆโ€œWhoops, where did that go?โ€, โ€œWhoops, how do I?โ€/โ€ฆ etc etc etc

And even to experienced users, the daily mini-frustrations I, myself, have when accidentally creating a record and having to command + z was one thing I was sure that Airtable would fix sooner or later, so I didnโ€™t let it bug me, and went on my merry wayโ€ฆ Loving pretty much everything else about Airtable, creating thousands of accidental records along the wayโ€ฆโ€œWhoops, command+zโ€

CleanShot 2021-02-10 at 11.39.54

Then August 2020 hit, and they let a team mess around with the record creation flow, causing mayhem among my clients, and colleagues alike, creating, what I think is one of the longest threads on this community yet.

We all had a little moan, a little joke, and I think for the most part they changed the functionality back - even though, itโ€™s still, in my opinion, clunkier than it was before it was messed with.

But then something happened about a month backโ€ฆ Whereby Airtable have given the field creation process the record treatment and made all sides of their app complete and utter minefields. So today, as I created my 10th accidental field of the day, I decided to write a polite petition to ask the UX designer and Product teamโ€ฆnay, BEG them to fix this!

Hereโ€™s my suggestion as an alternative:

1. Keep the Plus signs. Theyโ€™re nice and clear. Everyone is happy :green_circle:
  2. Please for the love of god stop messing with this empty space - This is important space that doesnโ€™t need to be clickable ๐Ÿ”ด

CleanShot 2021-02-10 at 11.49.09

and โ€ฆ

1. If you really, REALLY have toโ€ฆWhy not add a little friendly round button that a user can click on, so that we can all be very comfortable that this behaviour was intentional :large_blue_circle:

It feels like this decision was made to increase field creation, which just seems mad to me. I typically want less fieldsโ€ฆNot more! This is the graph of user frustration that I imagine the analytics doesnโ€™t show:

funtimes with graphs

Please say itโ€™s not just me :cry:

As a side note, Iโ€™ve actually been building my bases in Google Sheets recently, and my stress levels have been decreasing as a consequence, but it still feels a little like this

And as another side noteโ€ฆAirtable Product team - Sorry for the rant. I rant because I care :crazy_face: โ€ฆ You all rock :metal: !

67 Comments
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

They literally do not care. We are better off talking to a brick wall.

I know you were just pointing out some old interface changes, but remember that tech support told me that they are 100% committed to all the new interface changes, and that they will not be changing them. (I previously mentioned this in some thread somewhere.) They literally donโ€™t care that our clients accidentally create hundreds of new records every day, and they literally donโ€™t care that our clients accidentally create dozens of new fields every day.

Want to see dramatic improvements in Airtable? Require the Airtable engineers to exclusively use their own product (Airtable) every day for a month. I guarantee you that everything will radically improve within 30 days.

But until the Airtable engineers โ€œeat their own dog foodโ€œ (thatโ€™s a software development phrase), they will never respect their users.

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Are you sorting or filtering on that checkbox field?

I get the impression that Airtable is making these UX/UI decisions based on isolated issues, and not the entire experience. Most of these design changes make one specific thing easier โ€ฆ at the expense of the overall experience when the user is not interested in that specific thing.

Airtable has always had a beautiful looking user interface. As Airtable is trying to improve the usability of the interface, it is going through some growing pains. In some cases it seems like โ€œthe cure is worse than the disease.โ€ Hopefully Airtable will discover better cures (UX/UI changes) without these undesirable side effects.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Actually, itโ€™s not. In the 1970s television advertisements for Alpo dog food, Lorne Greene pointed out that he fed Alpo to his own dogs. Another early origin is from the president of Kal Kan Pet Food, who was said to eat a can of his dog food at shareholdersโ€™ meetings. Both of these uses predate the software development market as we know it and literally are founded in the dog food market itself.

But I agree - Airtable engineers should feel good enough about their product to use it invariably to solve data management problems, and I suspect they do, but probably not in stringent ways.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Ha, I love learning about the incredible history of these widely-used phrases! Thank you!

What I meant was that I was not calling Airtable โ€œdog foodโ€, and that it is a commonly-used phrase in the software industry.

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

To some extent they do this already. Every beta that Iโ€™ve signed up for requires signing up through an Airtable form. When I submit details on a marketplace app, I do so through an Airtable form. Usually these forms have at least one value prefilled. Thus, they must be using Airtable for some of their internal processes.

There are reasons why Airtable using its own product internally might not produce the results you desire.

• Airtable staff using Airtable have access to internal information on how the product works and why they are making the changes. When an Airtable staff member sees a highlighted column, they already know why it is highlighted and it isnโ€™t as distracting. Airtable staff know what actions will create a new record, so they donโ€™t do it when they donโ€™t want to create a new record. Their knowledge of the product means that they simply arenโ€™t as confused by these issues.

• How Airtable staff uses Airtable internally might not match how your clients use Airtable. If the use cases are different, the users will prioritize different things from the user experience.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

I didnโ€™t sense that you were using dog food as a metaphor for the product itself; purely a figure of speech that appears to have merit.

Extremely important point. I also imagine that they are using it profusely inside Airtable but that their usage is also deeply biased to the point where their own work with the product could be working against them. This was apparent at Microsoft (Access), FoxPro (precursor to Access), dBase IV (Borland), etc. All of these teams grew disconnected as success and adoption rose. They each found ways to eliminate the internal biases to create solutions that reached very high user happiness quotients.

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

According to this page, Airtable is looking for a Quantitative User Experience Researcher and a User Experience Researcher.

Here are selected points under both โ€œWhat youโ€™ll doโ€ headings. I find it an interesting list, both in what they include and what they donโ€™t include. For example, there is no explicit mention of this community in either job posting. Nor is there a mention of interacting with 3rd party consultants or experts.

Airtable_Clerk
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Bill, I agree about whoโ€™s the source of discomfort; Scottโ€™s just the messenger.

Interesting that you guys are seeing evidence of support pushing features to production.

Yes, VisiCalc was the 1st spreadsheet (God bless Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston), but VisiCalc didnโ€™t include an integrated database. I guess there are probably obscure footnote products that had the two, but it was Lotusโ€™ claim to fame (along with Lotus notes.)

andywingrave
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hooray! They fixed this for fields! Thank you!!!

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

What did they fix?? Both myself and my clients are still struggling with clicking to the right of a grid view, and having a new field appear!! Soooooo annoying. Itโ€™s making my life a complete nightmare working in Airtable!