Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Please Add Hyperlink Formula

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
George_Conlow
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Google Sheets has a formula called Hyperlink.
HYPERLINK(url, [link_label])
Example
HYPERLINK(“http://www.google.com/”, “Google”)
Where url is The full URL of the link location enclosed in quotation marks, or a reference to a cell containing such a URL.

and link_label - [optional] is the text to display in the cell as the link, enclosed in quotation marks, or a reference to a cell containing such a label.

It would be helpful if airtable could do this too.
My use case: Zapier finds new google docs in a special folder and adds records to an airtable which includes TITLE and URL. I have a view of that table that is embedded on my internal google site so that all new content in that folder (medical protocols) are available to my staff. It would be quite nice to have one field (a clickable link) rather than two - the title and an ugly url.

Please like this post to help it raise to the top!

60 Comments
Maurice
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Because I have complex spreadsheets I use to manage articles, and each row has around 4 links. If these are raw links the document is almost unusable, but if you can turn the links into “Doc”, “Article”, “Admin”, “Images”, etc, then you can easily comprehend what each column is for as you’re using it. You can also see which words are linked, and which have not been linked yet.

I’m surprised there’s no word on this over 6 months later, seems like a no brainer feature to add?

kpathare

Absolutely need this to hide the confusing form prefill URLs.

Trevor_Ellestad

In complete agreement with everything here. Would love to see this feature added. My eyes need things to look cleaner!

Maurice
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I’ve contacted AirTable asking them to provide an official response on this. Would be great to know if it’s being considered (or not), or maybe it’s even in development already.

I have spreadsheets with hundreds of rows using “Hyperlink”, and the import feature strips the link data, so right now it’s impossible for me to move these from GSheets to Airtable.

Maurice
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I contacted Airtable and got a update, TL;DR they’re probably working on it :+1:

Thanks for reaching out about this! At the moment, we don’t have a way to allow custom (markdown/html) formatting of a link—the url will always be shown in its full form. However, this is something we’re keenly aware of the importance of, for use cases exactly like yours. To that end, we’re working on something that would unblock this. While that’s not likely to solve your immediate problem (the workaround, as you note, is to use a url field), it may help you in the longer term. That said, as a general rule, we don’t share public timelines for features we’re working on, or specific details about our decision making process around how we’ve prioritized certain features over others. Rest assured that we spend a lot of time reviewing requests from the community, talking to our users, thinking deeply about what will add the most value for them, and working to implement quickly as we can. While I am sympathetic to the fact that it can seem like we’re not paying attention or prioritizing the most important or obvious features, I promise you we spend a lot of time thinking this through.

Michelle_Hugule
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I really need this as well! The ability to add a hyperlink instead of the full link address would make this way easier for my staff to read, especially since some of them are so long and it looks terrible.

Yosauce
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is this possible yet?

Andy_Brown
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’d like a real hyperlink option in the Short Text or Long Text field types.

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

This paragraph should be pinned to the top of this category in its own post, as I’m sure it probably applies to just about every request.

Karl_Pfleger
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Google sheets goes farther than this. Even numerical fields can be hyperlinks. I have sheets where almost every field is a hyperlink. Some fields are short text, some long text, some numbers (with math like sums performed on them), some categorical (which is just text in G-Sheets).

Every field should be able to be an http hyperlink to an external web page.