Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

PRODUCT SUGGESTION FOR FORMS: Hidden fields & hidden prefill fields that actually submit

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Not sure if this is a bug in Airtable or just a missing feature, but we really need this feature. Airtable needs the ability for us to have hidden fields on forms that will submit data upon form submission.

Currently, Airtable doesn’t accept the values from any hidden fields.

Here’s the situation:

My clients are currently having difficulties with Airtable forms, because prefilling fileds on forms (using the “?prefill_fieldname=” syntax) only works if the fields that you’re prefilling are actually visible upon submitting.

We’re trying to prefill hidden fields on the form that we’ve hidden using Airtable’s brand new conditional field feature for forms. So we’ve hidden a bunch of fields (using fake values that will always result in false). We’re forcing these fields to be hidden.

These hidden fields actually get their prefilled values filled in correctly!

How do we know this? Because if we type in the fake values to “show” these hidden fields again, the prefilled values are visible! The prefilled values are right there!

But — the only way to get these values to be added into our Airtable database upon form submission is to keep the field visible.

If the field is hidden, Airtable won’t submit the value into the base, which then defeats the purpose of having a hidden field to begin with.

Thanks!

38 Comments
Augustin_Clouti
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I strongly agree with that request. Most of the times It makes no sense to prefill and let user mess with the prefill value.

Hannah_Wiginton
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Not a native Airtable form but On2Air Forms by @openside can do this with JotForms.

A new, upgraded version of On2Air Forms is also in the works.

Moe
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

One of the features that we’ve added recently to our form builder is the ability to prefill hidden fields!

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Wow! This is awesome, @Moe! Thanks for creating this! :slightly_smiling_face:

Casey_Martin
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

100% agree. It’s the most glaring missing feature on Forms, and the one big thing that really stops it from being a viable non-anonymized collection tool for almost every customer-facing business. It’s just not feasible to prefill a company name on a form if the recipient can ‘x’ out their company and then look at a list of every single other customer I have.

32Stories_team
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Won’t be able to use Airtable without this tbh. missing a trick.

tom_bg

The lack of this feature is a huge blocker. I’m sure it’s pretty simple to implement and the value of this is enormous.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Everyone, please be sure to email support@airtable.com about this. I emailed them, and they didn’t understand why it was such a big deal to me. :man_shrugging:t2: :man_facepalming:t2: Perhaps they’ll understand if they receive more emails from different people with different needs for this feature.

Charlie_Spokes

Also emailed, this is a major blocker for me too. :crossed_fingers:

David_Zisner1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This is a must for us too!