Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

"You can't enter data here" hints

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hashim_Warren
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

The problem: the people on my team who do data entry are confused about which fields they should enter data on.

For example I made one column for the sole purpose of counting the entries on a separate table. The column uses an IF formula to find if another column has “Paid in Full” selected.

While training a coworker she pointed to the column and was confused - why did she have to add duplicate data?

It would be awesome if the column hinted that it was “computer generated” at just a glance.

Here’s my suggestion:

1. Airtable should use a different font for data that’s produced by a formula or otherwise can’t be changed directly. I suggest a monospaced font that looks “computery”.

2. When something changes that makes a formula-powered filed change don’t just update it instantly. Use the yellow fade technique to clue the user that something has changed https://signalvnoise.com/archives/000558.php

3. If there’s no data in the field already, use a slightly greyed out background so it looks like “nothing can be entered here”