Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Reciprocal editing of Lookup fields

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Heather_Ripkey
5 - Automation Enthusiast

It would be very useful to be able to edit a lookup cell from either the source or destination table. Currently, if Iโ€™m working in a destination table and notice an error, missing information, or data that needs updating, I need to go to the source table and find the correct cell to edit that information. This is a challenge in a table with 107 columns! :bow_and_arrow: It would be much more convenient to be able to edit the information in the destination table and have the corrected information populate back to the source table.

9 Comments
Jay_Kay
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I agree with Heatherโ€™s feature request. It doesnโ€™t seem difficult to implement. On Android devices at least, you donโ€™t even get an icon or message telling you where the source table exists. You just have to know the correct source table by memory. This could be implemented a lot better.

Judson

Agree, this would be very useful for our org also.

Michael_Taylor

+1 for this feature.

Jeff_Evans
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+5 (my entire team) for this feature

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yes, this would be an absolutely fantastic feature! +1 for me as well.

In the meantime, the quickest way to do this (instead of jumping all the way to the source table) is to click on the linked record in the current table, and it will expand the linked record, so you can edit its fields right from your current table.

Andrew_Petrus

The inability to do this is highly frustrating. This should be possible if โ€œAllow linking to multiple recordsโ€ is unchecked.

SMP
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I just click on the linked record the lookup is from and it opens up to edit. Is this not working for you?

I have also created reciprocal fields by running one or other target off of a formula, e.g. if I mark an item in the Gift Calculator table as Assignment, then it populates on the Participants table as an assigned work. On the Participants table, thereโ€™s a formula that essentially takes the count of assigned works and says, โ€œAssignment Completeโ€ or โ€œAssignment Incomplete.โ€ On the Gift Calculator table, when I link the participant, it provides the lookup of Assignment Completion status and is editable by selecting or unselecting Assignment.

Playades_Team
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for such feature. i am surprised this isnโ€™t supported. would make AirTable a much more serious replacement for database-like applications.

Tristan_Scifo
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

+1 for me too. I agree, this would make Airtable match and beat Monday.comโ€™s functionality