Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Set defaults on fields

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Mike_Ball
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Simply the ability to set a default on fields other than numeric

On a date, the obvious is Today

On a string, just set a default value

138 Comments
Hannah_Wiginton
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

You can set defaults in your fields with the On2Air Amplify app - you can add the app directly into your Airtable base.

Hereโ€™s a quick tutorial and video:

How to Set Automatic Default Values in Your Airtable Fields

oliver_leo
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi, I just wanted to know how to add fields in this section as in my settings it is not showing. I have tried with eduhelphub.com guidance several time and now it is not working. Please suggest me the solution. thanks in advance.

Coby_Tamayo
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

In my use-case I have a Form that populates a Kanban board for project management. Would be super useful to have a Status field (Kanban column) that defaults to โ€œTodoโ€.

Nathan_Griffith
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Just started using Airtable and went to add a date field that defaults to โ€œtodayโ€โ€ฆ and found thereโ€™s no option for this? Seems like a bizarre limitation on a database app.

Daniel_Swid
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I would like to see defaults work and be available for every view. Automations are a work around however they are tricky to configure and fragile, if someone changes a view automations can break.

For each view add a โ€˜factory itemโ€™ which will hold all default values for new records created from that view.

Artem_Dekhtyar
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Probably AirTable is not a good option if such an obvious and clear request for the required functionality is not resolved since 2018. It is bizarre not to have default option for the field used as kanban status

Steven_Alig
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

FYI
A little late to the party here. But the shortcut is Command Semicolon (โŒ˜ ;).
The plus symbol is not part of the shortcut but part of the idea of using the Command key plus using the semicolon key at the same time.
This worked for me on Mac with Chrome (as of August 2022).
And why we are still asking for basic features after 5 years is beyond comprehension for me but really makes me wonder if I should invest too much time into learning to use Airtable if they are not responsive to very basic use requests.
At least explain why it is not possible to code something that could be done in PHP, Python, Javascript or any other coding language in about 10 minutes.
Maybe there is a perfectly good reason this is not included in airtable, but I really cannot think of one???

Robert_Corell
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Not sure if this has been mentioned above, but another apparent restriction on availability of setting defaults for data. It seems that while additional fields are allowed to be created in syncโ€™d tables, the option to set a default for a new number field is not available like it is in non-syncโ€™d tables.

Ability to set defaults on all field types would be a basic need.