Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Set defaults on fields

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Mike_Ball
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Simply the ability to set a default on fields other than numeric

On a date, the obvious is Today

On a string, just set a default value

138 Comments
Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Thanks for the feedback! Could you explain a little more about wanting to default to a relative date/time? Do you have a specific use case in mind for something like this? When you say โ€œcurrent time plus 2 hours,โ€ does โ€œcurrent timeโ€ refer to the time at which the record was created, the time at which the date field was modified, or are you asking for something that automatically updates to always show the time two hours from the present time?

In the meantime, it might be useful for you to use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + ; (or โŒ˜ + ; on Mac). This will automatically put in the current date/time into a datetime field (โ€œcurrentโ€ here means โ€œthe time at which the keyboard command was inputโ€).

Mics_Sky
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Katherine,
Iโ€™ve never been able to short cut the current date/time on Mac OS, Safari or FireFox. On both itโ€™s a Zoom function.
Can you check please,

Joshua_Soule
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Katherine, I am referring to the โ€œDefault Valueโ€ (of a new record) such as when using a database as a journal or fitness log, it would record date and/or time when the user begins entering a new log. Also, when using a database to log GPS waypoints- new records would include the date and time the record was created. Even a contact list, a calendar event, a photography database, job-seeking, hiring, car maintenance, pretty much any time a user would want the current date and time to be recorded when a new entry (record) is created. In other programs (Microsoft Access) every field type is allowed to have a Default Value, and that value can be a static value or a programmed value (such as CurrentDate, CurrentTime, UserName, etc). I see that some field types in Airtable are allowed Default Values (text fields for example), however it would be very useful if date fields did also.

Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Are you clicked in to the date field when you use the keyboard shortcut? If youโ€™re not clicked in, โŒ˜ + ; is mapped to spellchecking, at least on Chrome on Mac.
7ee91c287b4ff592dd3346e7a49968860eb6da7d.gif

Philip_Bailey
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I also would like to have a way to have Airtable automatically fill in date or time or date and time in a field. This becomes the time stamp of when the record was added. Much easier than typing in the data or using date picker. Also on my windows 10 computer when I use Cntl + all I do is zoom in my display. Cntl - zooms out.

Richard_York
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Firefox also treats CNTL + as window zoom in. What are we missing here?

Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Sorry, I guess I wasnโ€™t clear when I was explaining the keyboard shortcut. I didnโ€™t mean โ€œ+โ€ as the โ€œthe key on oneโ€™s keyboard which returns the plus sign.โ€ I meant โ€œ+โ€ as โ€œand.โ€ So, the steps in order are:

1. Press the โ€œโŒ˜โ€ (Command) key, or the โ€œCtrlโ€ (Control) key if youโ€™re on Windows.
  2. While still holding down the key from step 1, press the โ€œ;โ€ (semicolon) key.
Daniel_Ehrlich
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I would also like to have this feature added.

Why: it would be extremely useful on the iPhone where I canโ€™t use keyboard shortcuts, and Iโ€™m on the go / pressed for time to enter everything

Greg_Wiers
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I would agree that this feature would be very valuable when on the go form the mobile devices.

dave_stanton
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I second this request. Default values should be available for almost all field types.