Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Sharing editing access to one view and non-hidden fields only

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ziptie
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I want to build a database and give selective access for users to view and update certain records and fields. I don’t want to give them full access to the whole base, for privacy reasons and to prevent people from getting confused and making changes in the wrong places. Right now it seems like it’s all of nothing, but I’m not sure.

The View Only and Form modes don’t work for me, as this doesn’t let people view the relevant data on a particular record, and update notes and specific information about that particular record.

Is there a way to create a view and only share that view and all of its non-hidden fields for editing? If not, please add that feature! Or airtable will no longer work for our purposes.

Thank you!

12 Comments
Kailyn_Nelson

We also want this. We want to hide hourly rates/cost information but show hours and other information that is editable by anyone, not just those who have permission to see financial data. Otherwise, we have to use tedious workarounds.

Maurice
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

This has been my most needed feature since I started using Airtable years ago, and is the biggest reason I have never paid for, or needed the paid version. I would happily pay for AirTable if I could actively control each users view-access.

As the original poster has said, right now it’s all or nothing. Either you can only share a non-editable version (not very useful), or you can add them to your entire base (not useful when I have 1 view with 10 records I want to share ina base with hundreds of non-related records.

To rub salt in the words, your help article on this topic acitely tells you to Copy and Paste your records

Also not helpful, as now it’s just orphaned data.

And if I were to decontruct my data into separate bases and share it in 1 central location, now I can’t work together as a team, since each individual base can only be worked on within that base, plus it’s a lot of unnecessary base-switching and additional data management.

I realise the logic may be confusing on the backend, since views are ever-changing collections of records, and can be deleted/added at will. So the simplest solution which I think would be a big-hit, would be view-only based access.

Instead of sharing a Base, you would share a View with a user. Then you can see that user only has access to that view. It’s up to the manager to not delete that view, and you’d just need a pop-up telling them “X User will lose access if you delete this view”.

Alternatively, make the ‘shared views’ that are public, editable. That would also solve the issue since these are private links. Although then you’d have non-user data in the system which is probably something you’re trying to avoid.

Or you could do some cool combination of the two.

Either way, being able to comparmentalize the view-sharing within airtable would be a game-changer for me, and sounds like many others.